Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I change colour profile of embedded objects?

Mar 7, 2013 5:04 AM

One of my Illustrator CS6 documents was intially created some time ago without paying much attention to colour management issues. I am now trying to put that right and have assigned the document a profile of Adobe RGB (i998). However, each time I open it I am warned that 'The document has an embedded color profile that does not match the current RGB working space'. It also says that the embedded profile is sRGB, while my working space is Adobe RGB. I get this message three times and am assuming that it refers to embedded objects.

So far, I have failed to find a permanent solution. Do I have to reimport all items that may have a colour profile, having first ensured that they are tagged as AdobeRGB?

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to David C Anderson

Are linked files in the document?

It doesn't make sense to just tag a pixel image diffrently, because that might change its look dramatically. The color profile describes what you had in mind when you created that image resp. in case of photos how the camera sees color.

In case you ant to change that afterwards you need to convert the image into the other profile. But why do you think you would need that? For most semiprofessional cameras sRGB as a color profile makes absolute sense.

When designing stuff for the web, sRGB as a working profile makes sense as well.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to David C Anderson

Those .gif and .tiff files RGB color?  The certificate is going to be printed offset?  Illustrator warning happens as a default even when tags fall in line.  Somewhat bothersome, they do serve a purpose.  I think you are on the right track, though.  But, if those files are color files, it may benefit you to reassign Adobe RGB to a copy of the original file(s); then convert them to CMYK in whatever your printer is asking for ( profile, that is ).  Place the CMYK files into a CMYK document to be printed.  By creating an Adobe RGB file, you open up the gamut a little more in line with CMYK conversion characteristics.  You could convert the sRGB, but those may be clipped and will limit the accuracy of the color itself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points