Skip navigation
Bea Cabrera
Currently Being Moderated

USB microphone is not listed in Premiere's Audio-Hardware drop down

Mar 7, 2013 5:40 AM

Tags: #audio_hardware #recording_audio #audio_track #audio_midi_setup #usb_microphone

Hello all.

First of all, I would very gladly appreciate any insight here because I'm totally stuck with this trying to record a voice over track.

The title is pretty self explanatory. I'm working on MacOS X and Premiere Pro CS5 and I would like to record an audio track but the USB microphone doesn't show up. I've already read several forum threads and followed the steps but this problem has not been mentioned yet.

This is what I have done several times with no luck:

1- Connect USB and check MacOS recognizes it. It works fine.

2- In Premiere Pro mark track as recording track. Error appears because no input device has been stated.

3- Premiere Pro >> Preferences >> Audio-Hardware ---> no microphones on the drop down menu.

4- So I open Audio Midi Setup and add all microphones to Premiere Pro (Line-In, Built-in and USB device).

5- Back to step 3: Reopen the project >> Preferences >> Audio-Hardware ---> Line-In and Built-in appear, but no USB microphone still.

I have been able to record with the Built-in microphone, but I don't know what's happening to the USB one. In fact, if I go back to step 4 and open the Audio Midi Setup, checkboxes that I had once checked appear unchecked again.

I don't understand what's happening. Thank you in advanced for your help.

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Bea Cabrera

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to Bea Cabrera

I'm a PC guy, but if I had your issue I would try disabling the built-in mic and line input at the OS level so that the only possible input option for the OS and any apps would be the USB mic.

I use a Logitech USB headset and Pr CS6 has no trouble recognizing or recording with it.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to Bea Cabrera

why could it be that I have problems with a USB microphone

Seems like many people do.  I recommend using the Mic input instead.  That's a fairly bulletproof method.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Bea Cabrera

Hi Bea and everyone else,

Admittedly this makes sense once it's been performed, but is not obvious from the beginning.

I have noticed that some USB microphones in the Audio MIDI Setup Utility show the microphone as a single "Left" track.

This means that Pr needs record into a Mono Audio Track to allow for Mono input. The Default "Standard" Audio Tracks are actualy Stereo out. A mono clip can be dropped into a Standard Track, but the signal is pushed out a L/R Stereo output. Therefore won't map/allow a Mono input recording into it.

See here:

Pr Input to REC must match the Track Type - MONO Mic.png

Notice the Standard Audio Tracks outputting to Stereo don't have a Mic to select - only the Mono Track can record a Mono input.

Hope this helps a lot of Mac users facing this issue.

Cheers JB

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 4:56 PM   in reply to Jon Barrie ANZ

I have the same problem and nothing works. Its a simple Blue Mic and should just plug and play like it does in FCP but this is a nightmare!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points