Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Builder 4.7 Freezing

Mar 7, 2013 9:17 AM

Tags: #crashing #saving #building #freezing #flash_builder_4.7 #air_sdk_3.6

Out of curiosity does anyone else have problems with Flash Builder 4.7 freezing while building? I will save a file and it generally seems to freeze on 3% or 27% (those numbers might be related to my project, obviously). This happens several times each day. I have to force it to close and relaunch. Not a big deal since I don't lose any code but it's just more of an annoyance because it interrupts my workflow and the tabs I had open don't save.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Nabren

It appears that Flash Builder 4.7 has memory leaks.  FB 4.7 freezes when the (used) heap memory reaches the maximum heap size.

I ended up tweaking my heap values (FlashBuilder.ini) to allow the application to grow insanely large (-Xmx2048m) to allow the application to run longer before running into the same problem (before restarting FB).

Until Adobe fixes this issue, if you have the available memory, try increasing the (-Xmx) setting in your FlashBuilder.ini file.

Look here for assistance: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-builder/kb/sluggish-performance-out-memor y-errors.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to BrianR-Teo

I am experiencing the same issue and in my case this memory tweak didn't help. Each time I restart FB I'm getting only a couple of successful builds before it freezes up at exactly 27%

*edit* Even after uninstalling and reinstalling FB.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Nabren

This is really not a good issue.

We upgraded from 4.6 to 4.7 and got this incredible slow performance.

Memory increased (-Xmx1024m).

Unfortunately this didn't help. Same project works perfect in FB 4.6 with -Xmx1024m.

Is there any workaround or does Adobe work on this issue?

Best

omi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Nabren

I am having the same issue , Any updates on this ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to Nabren

Allow the memory heap to grow up to 4 Gb ram.  You should be fine for a few days before restart flash builder again.

My configs:

-Xms2048m

-Xmx4096m

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

-XX:PermSize=64m

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 7, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Nabren

COME ON ADOBE!!!! THIS NEEDS SORTING OUT!

I don't know what changed but my current project crashes on every other save. I have the latest version of FB and I have updated the ini. This is unworkable!

Looking at how old this thread is I'm not holing out much hope! Flash Develop it is then.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 9:38 AM   in reply to TrickeyD

Dealing with this problem now. This is some very ****** product management, Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2014 9:44 AM   in reply to motionman95

Yeah, I ended up turning off 'Build Automatically' in the project menu just for an easy life. Stops crashing but far from a fix considering it's a really useful bit of functionality. It kept me from throwing my computer across the room though. Oh well, roll on Haxe development in FlashDevelop! :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points