Skip navigation
bluegrotto
Currently Being Moderated

Prompt for Filename Upon Printing as PDF Not Working

Mar 7, 2013 10:57 AM

Tags: #printing #printing_dialogue_window_error #convert_word_to_pdf

I have an intermittent problem when printing Word documents as PDFs.  I am using Windows 7 Professional, Adobe Acrobat X Pro, and Word 2010.  This problem started occuring only very recently; previously I was able to print Word documents as PDFs without issue.  The current problem is that about half of the time that I attempt to print as Adobe PDF, I do not receive a prompt for the filename and location of my PDF document.  Instead, a tooltip bubble pops up in on my system tray with the Adobe symbol, telling me something to the effect of "your PDF has been created as k3r5pt.tmp."  The other half of the time I receive the normal prompt to save my file.  It does not appear to be specific to certain documents, as after this problem occurs I try again with the same document (after changing nothing) and it prints normally.

I have checked my preferences by going to Devices and Printers->Adobe PDF->Printing Preferences->Adobe PDF Settings and choosing "Prompt for Adobe PDF filename" in the Adobe PDF Output Folder drop-down menu.  This has always been the setting and it still is.  I am not certain where these .tmp files are being sent to or why they are being created at all.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated so that I can print my PDFs successfully every time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to bluegrotto

Not sure what the issue is. Is there a reason use do not create the pdf from the Acrobat Ribbon? If you try that method does the problem persist? As you are printing to pdf, you can remove and recreate the PDF Printer instance and see if it makes a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 11:53 PM   in reply to bluegrotto

Are you always printing to the Adobe PDF printer from WORD? For a while, it might be worth check the printer properties to see if they are changed some how when you open the file in WORD. Normally the properties would be as you set them in the printer as you pointed to. You might also check Distiller to see if you have the option to set the request of a file name there. It may be that something is overriding your printer settings and Distiller is not set to ask. I am just guessing at a potential issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to bluegrotto

Typically the settings in the Printer Properties (Start>Printers> select the properties of the Adobe PDF printer) override the Distiller settings, but when in doubt go back and fix Distiller too. The changes you make to the printer properties in the print menu of an application are lost when the application is closed. Basically the application opens the print driver when it opens and any changes are added only to this instance, not the original driver settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to bluegrotto

You don't happen to have the print-to-file enabled? It might be worth trying the print-to-file and then opening the file in Distiller to see if you get a proper PDF. If so, check to see if AcroTray is a task running in the background.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to bluegrotto

I really don't have a clue. I would suggest you go to Help>Repair and see if a repair helps the problem. Also, you might want to follow the repair with updates to be sure you are running the latest version. Maybe these steps will fix the problem. If so, you will have a fix, but still no answer of what happened.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points