Skip navigation
Voile101
Currently Being Moderated

3D Effect how to create this motion effect?

Mar 7, 2013 6:11 PM

Hi, This is my first post.

On Brad Kremer video  Hayaku: A Time Lapse Journey Through Japan,

https://vimeo.com/12112529 at :22,

What is the technique effect use at :22 (men in the street, background is moving but not the front subject)

Hayaku  A Time Lapse Journey Through Japan on Vimeo.png

Is-it a new 3D effect with Photoshop or Afrter effect.

What is the name of this type effect.

Could we find some tutorial on Adobe.

Thanks for whatching and respond

Pierre Fontaine

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to Voile101

A sort of Ken Burns effect, which became popular after The Kid Stays In The Picture movie.

See e.g. this thread (which is currently right next to your one) for the links to a couple of tutorials.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 9:08 AM   in reply to Voile101

My guess is you could crop out the object you want to give some paralax, scale it up, make the layers 3D, make a camera, and animate a camera movement.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Voile101

As others have said this is a standard technique that involves separating foreground and background elements to layers, filling in some holes, and then arranging the layers in 3D space and animating camera position.

You can do this in After Effects, Blender, C4D ... just about any app that has 3D layers. It's called 2.5D or Camera Mapping or Projection Mapping, or "The kid stays in the picture" but it wasn't invented by Ken Burns.

Disney used this technique in their first feature cartoons by having separate background and foreground cells drawn and photographing them by overlaying the animation cells to give the illusion of perspective and parallax changes in a 2d image. The "Ken Burns Effect" was probably first done by Georges Méliès in films like his film "A Trip To The Moon" to combine painted elements and backdrops into a moving image, but someone else probably beat him to it. Ken was lucky enough to get a grant to produce a well received film comprised mainly of camera moves on still images so now the technique is commonly credited to him. I was cutting up historical photographs, gluing them to popsicle sticks, and moving a 16mm Bolex through the scene in 1970 for my first documentary project "Transit at the Crossroads". This isn't new stuff but AE and Photoshop have made it a lot easier. There are a bunch of tutorials that will give you a step by step walk through.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KGxHHAX1nOY

What a beautiful story about your film!

Wow.  Melies strikes again!

Two questions:

Was that Fleischer (of Betty Boop fame) who first did that for Disney?

Also, the best example of the Ken Burns effect I have seen was the very same film that inspired Ken Burns in his youth to explore so deeply what can be done with still images in a documentary.

That film is City of Gold, by the National Film Board of Canada, which shows what great things are possible when GOVERNMENT, yes government, funds the arts.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to Matt Dubuque

Yes a fantastic film.

Here's a good Creative Cow 2.5D tutorial:

And here's another good one for animating a still from Video Copilot

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to BenjaminMarkus

Thanks Ben!

Great film that City of Gold.

I'm also finding this 50 hours of video training by Chris and Trish Meyer in their "After Effects Apprentice" training to be a great way to get started when used in conjunction with their book by that same name.

http://www.lynda.com/search?q=chris+meyer+apprentice&x=0&y=0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points