Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Second drive

Mar 7, 2013 12:58 PM

Is there any benefit to installing Elements 11 onto it's own drive with nothing else on it, specifically a SSD?  Then accessing the programs and related files via booted drive with Win 7?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to P1965

With two drives, the best set-up is to put all of your programs on your main hard drive, with your operating system, and use the second drive for project and media files. (Ideally, as I say in my books, with each project in its own folder on this drive.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to P1965

I bought a laptop with an SSD for the C: drive, an i7 processor and 16 GB of Ram.  It can render video at faster than 1:1 unless there are complicated effects and multiple track.  In other words, a 75 minute HD video rendered to Blu-Ray format in about 50 minutes.

Prior to SSDs being readily available, the best performance theory was to spread the work over three drives.  Instead I create a dedicated folder for a project.  Everything goes in that folder, including the project and copies of all the assets.  When the project is complete, I move the entire folder to a much bigger drive, an external drive or even Blu-Ray disks.  If I want to work on it again, I move the entire folder back to the C drive. 

My SSD is 256 GB.  It is about half full with Premier and Photoshop Elements, Lightroom and the usually office software.  I put everything that I don't need to run fast on the D: drive that is three times larger. 

I have had personal experience with only two computers running PrE with AVCHD video.  It seems the two most important performance factors are having lots of RAM and an SSD. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to P1965

I completely agree with Steve.

Most Adobe programs really want to be on the C:\, though some users have been able to locate them elsewhere.

Separating the OS and programs from the Projects and Assets will give you the most bang-for-the-buck, and mitigate problems that others have experienced by locating the Adobe programs onto another drive, but C:\.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

With two drives, the best set-up is to put all of your programs on your main hard drive, with your operating system, and use the second drive for project and media files. (Ideally, as I say in my books, with each project in its own folder on this drive.)

You beat me to the post again!  I type too much.

With respect that is certainly due, I disagree.  My computer has two drives, an SSD and 7200RPM HDD.  I tried it with PrE on the SSD C: drive ann putting the project and media on the HDD and performance slowed.   I'm sure if both drives were HDDs, you would be correct. 

I bought this computer recently for the purpose of improving the learning experience of video editing and, so far, I am very pleased.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

I completely agree with Steve.

Most Adobe programs really want to be on the C:\, though some users have been able to locate them elsewhere.

Separating the OS and programs from the Projects and Assets will give you the most bang-for-the-buck, and mitigate problems that others have experienced by locating the Adobe programs onto another drive, but C:\.

Good luck,

Hunt

I'm going back to retirement and Lynda.com courses.  You guys are too quick.

Hunt, I think you said you built an SSD in your new laptop.  If you did, try having the entire project and assets in a folder on the SSD that has PrE and the operating system.  It works and works very rapidly.  If you didn't put an SSD in the laptop, ignore me.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to whsprague

I am still waiting for Clevo to come through with their new MoBo's, and will consider an SSD, plus two HDD's.

SSD's are reaching their own, and are getting better at supporting many write functions, but where they excel is in reads. The next generation should be better, larger, and cheaper, and then, the "death knell" might well be sounding for HDD's. Of course, as slowly as Clevo is moving, I might not get the new laptop UNTIL the next gen. of SSD's make their debut.

One thing that I hope to add is an SSD RAID via eSATA, with a dedicated RAID controller in the enclosure. I am thinking that such would be ideal for a media device.

One Photoshop super-user has done internal SSD RAID's, and is getting very impressive numbers on his PS Scratch Disks, and some very intensive operations. Even when he had everything on just the first SSD RAID, he had major improvements. Things ARE getting better and better. Now, all of his SSD's are enterprise units, so he's got about US $10K in his RAID's.

Just some observations,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

...... and will consider an SSD, plus two HDD's.

SSD's are reaching their own, ......

One thing that I hope to add is an SSD RAID via eSATA, with a dedicated RAID controller in the enclosure.....

..... all of his SSD's are enterprise units, so he's got about US $10K in his RAID's.

It appears SSDs have come into their own in many laptops, largely lead by Apple.

I've owned a lot of computers.  My first came before DOS!  Nothing has run faster at big jobs than my laptop with and SSD.  You will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't get one in you laptop.

RAID for backup would make great sense if you were working 12 hours a day on multiple projects similtaneously.  More approprate for me is a pair of 1.5 TB external USB 3.0 HDDs that I use in an A / B pattern and are kept in separte places.  If I ever fill them, I will by bigger ones. 

For the sake of more observation and for anyone that wants a laptop for AVCHD video, ASUS makes a line of laptops they aim at "Gamers".  The downside is they have ugly logos on them.  The upside is they can have everything from SSDs, Nvidia cards and Blu-Ray burners -- which is just right for consumer grade videographers.   They are not cheap, but B&H sold me one with everything on my wish list, in one package, for a lot less than HP laptop workstations or Mac Pros with the same specs.

As a bonus, it even came with a backpack (with a large "Republic of Gamers" logo) for attending Gamer conventions with my laptop.

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

Right now, I have a Sager, which is also a gaming unit, but they allowed me to customize it for photo and video editing. Because they have gone so heavily into SLI and dual-nVidia chips for extreme gaming (Adobe programs do not work well with SLI, and they often cause big problems), I have decided to go with ADK, with this unit: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118.

For the external media box, I will set that up probably with RAID 50, to get the speed and redundancy. However, I need to get the laptop, and get it tweaked, before I look into the SSD RAID system. All it takes is time, and money. I have little of the first, and we'll see how things go, when I finish my IRS Federal Taxes, to see if I have any of the latter.

Thanks for the tips,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

Bill,

....... I have decided to go with ADK, with this unit: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=118.

Hunt

If anybody is shopping for or reviewing laptops for video, a comparison might be this ASUS from B&H.  It is a

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891172-REG/ASUS_g75vw_dh73_3d_i7 _3630QM_16GB_DDR3_750GB_HD_256SSD_Windows_8_17_3_3D.html

The one I got a few months ago is almost the same except that it has Windows 7, does not have 3D and was $1850.  B&H did not charge me shipping or state sales tax.

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points