Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Limit the clicks while working

Mar 7, 2013 2:51 PM

Tags: #mouse #indesign #shortcuts #workflow

Hi Guys

I work in InDesign a lot during the day, constantly using the mouse if I want to go to the measurement boxes in the top menu for instance.

Is there a way to limit using the mouse, for instance when I'm putting in text in a text object, and I would like to adjust the width of the text object, how can I get into the width box without using the mouse? So which shortcuts or...?

Other tips?

Thanks!

Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to BobM1990

One useful keyboard shortcut is this:

Activate last-used field in panel --- Default: CtrlAlt`

Whichever was the last field in the the control panel that you used, you

will be taken back to it. Once you're there, you can use the tab key to

move from one field to the next in the panel.

HTH,

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to BobM1990

Command 6 will get you to the settings pallett

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to BobM1990

When you are in the settings pallett, use the tab key to go from one setting to the next

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to BobM1990

only if I reset the shortcut via the keyboard shortcuts but then it shows the § symbol (which is on the 6 button on top). Also the right numeric keyboard doesn't seem to work.

I think that 95% of the advice you get here is going to be from people using plain-vanilla US-101 keyboards. It seems like you are not. What kind of keyboard are you using, then?  It's not AZERTY, I know that those usually have the pipe character (|) on the 6 key. QWERTZ usually has an ampersand (&). But I've never seen a keyboard with the section symbol (§) anywhere.

The name of the command you're looking for is "Toggle Keyboard Focus in Control Panel" and you can find it in the "Views, Navigation" section under the "Product Area" pulldown in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to BobM1990

So it is an AZERTY! I guess I've never seen an Apple AZERTY keyboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I'm not sure you've seen a standard 101 key qwerty board either. The ampersand is on the 7 key.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Given your rate of typos these days, Peter <polite cough >, I forgive you entirely for supposing that I meant QUERTY when I really did mean QUERTZ.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

I'll go back in my cave now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to BobM1990

I'm a translation & localization nerd by trade, and I'm sure that the reason that your top-o'-the-keyboard shortcuts don't work boils down to some sort of failure in localization QA. Speaking really vaguely, here: when you whack command-6 on an en-US keyboard, it sends some number to the OS, and the OS interprets this number into some kind of output. The OS developer (Apple, in this case) is supposed to standardize this stuff, and the software developer (Adobe) is supposed to get those numbers in some kind of standardized way. Without doing some testing, we have no idea whether InDesign is grabbing those values in a non-standard way, or if the keyboard manufacturer took a shortcut in driver development, or any one of a number of possible duct-taped hacky workarounds. I do that kind of testing sometimes, and I am sometimes horrified by the slipshod way in which many vendors fail to serve their users who aren't using plain-vanilla English computing environments.

Long story short - you've already figured out the real workaround, which is to associate your keyboard output with the functions you want in ID. However, you'll most likely need to make new shortcuts if you switch to a different hardware keyboard or key layout.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to BobM1990

Not quite sure what you are saying about the number keys, but perhaps your running into the restiction that numbers onthe numpad section of the keybosrd are reserved for style shortcuts only.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points