Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What does "<?>" mean?

Mar 7, 2013 3:00 PM

I am working in CS6 (Mac OSX), and I have taken over a multi-document book project. I have a page with a table consisting of 2 columns: the left column is text and the right column is page numbers. I wanted to add a new row to the table to insert another entry underneath the existing info, so I copied and pasted one of the rows. The left column text pasted fine, but in the right column, instead of the pasted page number repeating what I had copied above, the table cell was now showing "<?>". I cannot figure out what this is. I have worked with cross references and variables before, but it doesn't seem to be either one of these. Any time that I copy an existing number from the right column, I get "<?>" when I paste. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this is? Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to wamboyil

Please post a screen shot. You can embed it in a post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to wamboyil

Faint box = cross-reference, or some other kind of document automation. If you highlight just the number, does anything happen in your cross-references panel? I am staring at hundreds of those faint boxes at this point (an xref-heavy job) and see that <?> construction all the time, in text featuring xrefs that gets exported to rtf.

So if it's not a native xref in InDesign, it's something closely related.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to wamboyil

Looks like it might be an unresolved cross-refernce or perhaps a hyperlink (based on the box), but I'm not sure. Can you zoom in on the number and post another shot?

If you show the Structure (View > Structure > Show Structure) panel do you see more than a Root element? Might be something to with XML as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Also, turn on the Story Editor (Edit > Edit in Story Editor) and make a screen capture of what that looks like. It shows markers and special characters better than in Layout view.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points