Windows 8 professional 64bit

LGA2011 i7 3820

32GB RAM Quad Channel

NVidia GTX560TI

Several HDD's, scratch disk is a 2 disk stripe set

Master Suite CS6 and LR 4.3

All Adobe software is up to date

Running latest NVidia drivers

Up until recently Photoshop has been running OK.  Over the past week or so, when I have a file open, size and number of layers don't seem to make a difference, the performance gradually decreases to the point where using the pen tool to create 2 anchor point can take anywhere up to 20 seconds; this is just an example, this kind of slow down or lag happens with all tools. Shutting down Photoshop and restarting works, but after a few minutes it starts to slow down again.  Time taken to save files also increases once the slowdown starts

Actions taken so far...

I have reset all tool pre-sets

Deleted all Photoshop settings files

Purged history etc.

Confirmed all drivers and software up to date

Replicated the problem on small and large files with from 2 - 30 layers

Replicated the problem on existing PSD and PSB files as well as with new raw files.

Tried loading images from Lightroom and from directly within Photoshop

Changed performance settings (history & cache, gpu, memory etc.) and tried multiple configurations including enabling/disabling "Use Graphics Processor"

I can't think of anything else to try.  As mentioned, this is a fairly new problem that started about a week and half ago and is gradually getting worse.  I'm at the point now where I have to shut down Photoshop and restart it every 5 minutes.  I am a photographer, and when you have to do this for dozens of images, it becomes an untenable process.

Can anyone suggest some new tests or remedies?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to edk01

From the description, we know the cause would be something outside of Photoshop - either system or another app interfering.

Font managers?

Anti-virus?

Backup software?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to edk01

Do you have 10-20% free space on your HD?  If you are the type that never turn the computer off have you tried a full reboot?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to edk01

About the only thing I can think of is to temporarly disable your Norton.  See if that changes anything.

I assume it has been running so likelyhood of a malware is slim?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to edk01

Your hard drive is way too full.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to edk01

I don't think you can get there from here (logging a ticket), unless one of the Adobe folks kindly goes out of their way to do so.  Generally speaking I think you'd need to call support.

This is the first I think I've heard of your specific issue here on the forum.  There have been occasional threads about sluggishness in general - just not progressively worse sluggishness.  What does Task Manager say?  Do you see the Photoshop.exe process chewing up CPU time?  What does Resource Monitor say?  Do you see a lot of (or progressively more) disk activity when Photoshop gets sluggish?

Regarding Norton, I'm not sure just disabling it is sufficient to test whether it's causing the problem.  You would have to remove it entirely (or refresh Windows).  I've not heard anything good about Norton software in a long time, and don't forget that Windows 8 comes with an anti-malware solution right out of the box.  That said, personally I use Avast! on all my systems.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to edk01

Hi, I wondered if you have managed to find a solution to this problem. I am having the same problem as mentioned in your original post and I also have a top range PC and was working fine until about a week ago.

Any help would be great

Cheers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points