Skip navigation
Jalineg
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign printing a booklet

Mar 7, 2013 7:52 PM

How do I print a 6 x 8 inch booklet (32 pages ) on 8.5 x 11 paper?  The back and front text are not aligned.  They are off slightly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 7:59 PM   in reply to Jalineg

Off slightly may well be due to the printer itself. Back to back alignment is usually just due to how the paper loads from the pick up and feed rollers in non-commercial equipment.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Jalineg

Jali--if it is due to your printer's margin settings, and it could well be, then because the way edges flip a bottom's margin becomes the top, etc.

Can you export to a PDF and see this offset? If not, try printing from Acrobat. If you then get the offset, it might truly be the printer's margins. Also, you can try changing the flip on the short side versus the long side or vice versa.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Jalineg

Is this an inkjet printer? Used to be, and maybe still is, that inkjet pages had wildly different head and foot margins...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Jalineg

If you have extra paper to trim from the booklet after folding, I'd suggest rotating the odd or even pages 180 degrees before printing, then use the page flip that currently gives you good alignment, but one side upside down.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to Jalineg

Actually, what I meant was to Export the PDF in reader order--pages 1-x. Then, in Acrobat, choose the Booklet option. It does a good job. Then, print to the Acrobat printer.

If you printer is set up to portrait pages by default, the PDF will be 180 degree rotated. Then, with this PDF, print from Acrobat and use the Flip on Short edge. Why? Because with all the HP inkjets I have used, the feed offset is minimal using the flip on short edge.

Try it. Nothing to loose and minimal work (pushing buttons is all).

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points