Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD? Can Premiere Pro handle the longer clips?

Mar 8, 2013 3:32 AM

I'm thinking of purchasing the Sony NX5E but have been hearing terrible things about NLE system not being able to handle the AVCHD codec, thus playback being really choppy.

Is this still the case or have adobe addressed the issue.

Think im gonnna put the order for the NX5 on hold for a bit!!

Thanks in advance!

H

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to H_DOS

There are many that use that specific camera with great success and without problems.

What are your sources for saying that playback is really choppy? Or is that based on ill-configured, outdated systems, somewhat like hauling a 5 ton load up a steep hill, but using your granny's bicycle, instead of a truck?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to H_DOS

Spanned clips is another issue as Greg explained in your quote.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to H_DOS

Your title is about "longer clips" but your message is about "playback being really choppy"

Those are two DIFFERENT issues... as has been pointed out to you

There is a BUG in CS6 concerning spanned clips... as you say in message #2

Choppy playback is more a function of hardware configuration... which is total hardware, not just CPU and memory... and which includes the number and speed of hard drives, and where you have your files to allow the best flow of data

The absolute minimum for EFFECTIVE video editing is one 7200rpm hard drive for operating system and all software, and a second, separate 7200rpm hard drive for all project and video files

An eSata or USB3 external drive may work

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to H_DOS

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your duplicate topic.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to H_DOS

I had double up my question because Harm came along and kind of killed this post.

Just because you don't like an answer that you get in your topic is no excuse to violate forum rules and guidelines by double-posting.  If you need more information or think that you need to address an incomplete or incorrect answer, do it the same thread.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to John T Smith
    Your title is about "longer clips" but your message is about "playback being really choppy"

Those are two DIFFERENT issues.

Not really.  In this case, the chop is caused by the spanning bug.  (Or at least, I understood that to be the question being asked.  Does that camera suffer from the spanning bug, as not all models do?)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points