Skip navigation
stage3design
Currently Being Moderated

Can images "flow" from frame to frame?

Mar 8, 2013 7:47 AM

Tags: #creative #layout #book #indesign_cs6 #frame_fitting

I am wondering if an image can flow from one frame to another without losing any image in the space between frames? I am making an image "flow" across a gutter, and I want to be able to work with it inside a merged set of frames where one is on the recto page and the other is on the verso page and there is space between the frames to account for the loss of image in the binding process. Is there a way to make an image flow from frame to frame without losing any image inbetween?

Here's the example I'm working with. Even though I've combined these frames using Pathfinder, part of the image (shown faded back) is lost between the frames. Any thoughts?

Screen shot 2013-03-08 at 9.44.34 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to stage3design

Add inside bleed. That bleed is actually the gutter edge of the opposite page, so that part gets duplicated on both halves when you export with the bleed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to stage3design

So you are saying the frames don't run to the gutter? I misunderstood that.

You cannot flow the same image across two frames that make a compound shape without losing part of it in the gaps, but you can place the same image twice in two frames, or copy the frame after palcing once, and adjust the cropping and image placement inside those two frames so the area that fall in the gap moves into view. That won't help if the total image width is wider than the combined widths of the two frames, of course -- somthing would need to be cropped off someplace.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to stage3design

You can make an image live across two frames by converting them to a compound path first, but I don't think that does what you want either. If there is a space between the frames, there will be a portion if the image unseen across that space.

My method for gutter-jumping an image doesn't necessarily deliver the functionality you describe either, if I understand you correctly.

I simply use two copies of the image. Place the image across the spread in one big frame that straddles the gutter. Edit > Copy.

Edit > Paste in Place to paste a copy directly on top of the original. Now just drag frame side-boundaries to crop each copy so that half the image shows on each page. Spread apart at the gutter as needed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points