Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Interactive buttons show with a square box around them...

Mar 8, 2013 8:15 AM

Hi,

I've created an interactive pdf using InDesign. I use buttons that show fine in the pdf but when upload it and previewing in the browser, various browsers, the buttons show a square shape around them. How can I fix this?

Here is how the document looks like in pdf:

Capture1.PNG

Here is how it looks like when uploading to the server and previewing in the browser:

Capture2.PNG

These buttons show/hide other buttons in the page, no animation or effects have been applied.

Any idea why is this happening?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to pchinique

Buttons in PDF can have only rectangle forms, circle don't exist. I suppose that in the second case buttons are marked as form elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to pchinique

I think problem is PDF reader software (or plugin) you are using with your webbrowser. It does not support buttons (or has weird support)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to pchinique

Buttons in PDFs are always rectangles. Doesn't matter where the PDF comes from, no viewer can influence it.

Buttons in PDFs are rectanles. No discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

You can use custom icons as a visible part of button. Adobe Reader, Acrobat and Mac Previes for instance can show custom icons properly. A circle shaped button as circle etc. You can choose custom icon in Acrobat and I think if you add button in InDesign, it will be done as a custom icon.

If I understood correctly those 2 PDFs in first post are actually same file. First one is opened to Acrobat, second one is opened in web-browser with some other reader/plugin...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/interactivity-5.html

The clickable area, or hot spot, of the button is the square bounding box of the largest state in the button. For example, a round button has a square hot spot.

The Hotspot is a rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

Willi is correct. Hotspots are always a rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to Steve Werner

Yes I know that button field itself is rectangle but I don´t think it´s the point here. Question is rather about visible part of the button. Some readers show visible part (icon) correctly and some others don´t. OP has opened same file in two different reader, one shows it correctly, another doesn´t.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

Oh yes, this is the problem. What the TE asks is why are the rectangles around the round buttons. And these rectangles are the visible hotspots. If he hides the hotspots only the graphical representation of the buttons will be visible.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Willi Adelberger

How come those rectangles are not visible when PDF is opened with Adobe Reader or Acrobat (or what ever reader was used with first screenshot)?

I understood original question so that rectangles were invisible with one reader (probably Adobe Reader or Acrobat) and visible with web-browser (OP didn´t mention which plugin was used, but I don´t think it was Adobe Reader or Acrobat based on the difference between those 2 pictures... but I may be wrong... maybe OP can tell us more about the readers/plugins used in those screenshots.)

My guess is still that first screenshot has been taken from Adobe Reader or Acrobat, and second screenshot has been taken from some PDF reader plugin that doesn´t support button icons same way Adobe´s softwares does.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to pchinique

If there is a setting than you as a producer of the pdf will not have any influence on it. These settings are done by the one who is using that program not from the producer of the pdf. Don't waste any energy in changing it, you can't do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 9:39 PM   in reply to pchinique

Thats a problem with interactive PDF format. Different readers, plugins, extensions etc supports interactivity differently. And you as a publisher can´t influence how your users will see your PDFs. Only Adobe Reader and Acrobat have a full support for interactive features.

Flash format can handle that sort of things way better.. check for instance this example:

http://www.godcgo.com/Portals/0/GettingAroundguide/index.html

Whole content of that interactive guide has been produced with InDesign, but instead of exporting it as Interactive PDF it has been exported as SWF and finalized with product called eDocker*.

As you can see, there´s lots of differently shaped buttons and they work as they should - in all browsers.

I know that all designers don´t want to use flash because it doesn´t work in mobile devices, but IMO if target audience is using computers and you are using InDesign for ceating your interactive publication, Flash/SWF is very good way to deliver it to end-users. Small con is that InDesign´s own SWF export is not very good alone, you can´t make ready-to-use stuff with it without using 3rd party tools like eDocker or at least forking the code InDesign produces.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to Petteri_Paananen

I just taught an Advanced InDesign class yesterday that included a couple hour survey of digital publishing. I have a handout that lays out the advantages and disadvantages of each of the four popular ways to go—interactive PDF, SWF, EPUB or tablet apps. It's important to realize you have to figure out what your audience is and use the best method available, but acknowledge the limitations of each of the methods.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points