I am working in ID CS6 and in any document I open it is taking forever to select the text inside a text box. I select my Text Selection Tool and click inside a Text Frame and then the program freezes up from about 30 seconds to over 1.5 minutes sometimes while the dialouge boxes load and the text is eventually editable. It then moves very slowly.
I have plenty of local storage for my scratch disks (60 GB), I have 4 GB of RAM in Windows 7 32-bit. No other software running and only the bare minumium fonts installed (Less than 100).
The only thing that works is when I export an .idml file and open it. Text selection works fine in the newly opend .idml document until I close and reopent the it.
This is where I am stumped. Is something being added on to the document after I open it?
All help is appreciated.
Hmmm.. It happens both local and on a network.
Can you offer a resource for helping me understand how cross-references work? I have pasted some content from other documents. Are cross-references created from a copy and paste. I have not manually created and cross-references/Hyperlinks. Alternately can I disable cross-references? That would be ideal if it is causing this much trouble.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Stuck under a deadline here.
Cross-references are something you have to create, so they aren't the culprit in this case.
THe article you linked is pretty comprehensive and hits all the points I would have you check, so if it isn't a network problem (and it might still be network related if you store links on a server even if the file itself is local), my next guess (that's right, wild guess, because Windows is decidedly not helpful in providing info that helps with diagnosis) would be maybe a font problem. See Troubleshoot font problems | Windows for Adobe's take on font troubleshooting.
I'd also suggest you creat a new user account and try that to see if there's a difference. If there is, then the problem is something about your user, not ID specifically.
Thanks again. I will try suggested Adobe troubleshooting. The User Account hing is a good idea too.
I did unistall and re-install all of my fonts. This did not help either. Ugghhh...
Any other solutions are also welcome. Do not have time for this.
I'm back. Hanging head in shame. Looks like some elements of a customization I installed on my Window7 Machine was causing the dialouges to load very slow.
This is the customization specifically:
I removed all of the elements of this download and everything is working fine.
Thank you again to all who commented.