Skip navigation
dariendrollinger
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 Gradient Issue?

Mar 8, 2013 4:05 PM

I'm having a major issue and I need help quick! I have never had this issue until CS6. I do have a Retina Macbook Pro too if that helps. I will attach a screenshot of the issue. Basically though, I'm building a website and need to fade out a texture to transparent. I usually do this and it works fine, but right now it is going almost straight to transparent it isn't a smooth gradual gradient.

Screen Shot 2013-03-08 at 4.50.32 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 4:56 PM   in reply to dariendrollinger

Your screenshot shows the layer with the gradient mask being blended with the transparency grid instead of an underlying image. Photoshop's blending with the transparency grid is calculated in a linear colour space, whereas blending between layers is performed in the document colour space. (Document space usually, but there is a control for RGB blending gamma in Color Settings). If you enable the bottom layer then the upper layer should fade out in the manner to which you are accustomed.

Screen-shot-2013-03-09-at-00.48.45.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to dariendrollinger

Maybe you have reduced the Smoothness value to less than 100% in the Gradient Editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to dariendrollinger

I get the same result as you when using a similar dark blue. What version of Photoshop was giving a result that you prefer?

Screen-shot-2013-03-09-at-01.33.36.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to dariendrollinger

Look at my black example above, which uses the very same gradient mask as the blue. Don't you get the same good result with black?

Anyway, try applying a Curves adjustment to the gradient mask to change the result to something you prefer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to dariendrollinger

I'm having the same issue.  I'm using CS6 photoshop on a windows 7 pc.  I've never had an issue simply using the eraser tool to fade an image edge before that results in a smooth fade to transparent.  But now I do.  At screen/web resolutions occasionally there would be an issue in the past where you could see the transitions or it would cut away sharply and that was understandable.  But I never had this issue at print resolutions of 300.

For example I'm trying to fade the top sky portion of a picture slowly and cleanly to the white background as I'll be placing text above and I don't want a noticable break to the image. I want to control where the fade away occurs and how smoothly. It probably won't be a straight line across, but instead an organic flowing break from image to white depending on the image.

//Start with an image at 300 resolution, double click background, add new layer of all white below it.  Grab eraser tool with "soft round" brush and set brush to maybe 400 size, hardness of zero and opacity to 100 for starters and start erasing say a large section of the top edge of sky.  Then set brush size to 300 and opacity of brush to maybe 15 or 33 and slowly brush away the tight erased edge left from the first 100 opacity swipe. This widens the erased edge and softens the gradient to transparent and should give you a smooth blend to the underlying layer.

In the past PS was always able to create a clean transparency gradient from the image to the underlying layer or color.  But now blocky edged partly opaque regions are left and cut straight away to the background color.  It seems like I can get the image erased down to maybe a 10 to 12% opacity or there abouts and then it just cuts to 0% from there, leaving a visible break against some solid colors.  I've tried to work around it by "designing" the left over visible break but it is very difficult to control the edge of it.  It doesn't really follow your brush once you break it down to a transparent edge.

It does the same with screen/web resolution images.  But I'm less concerned with those and more concerned that maybe the new version of photoshop is not as precise as it always used to be in regard to transparency overlaps.  Fading the edge of an image in this manual way or with masks and a soft brush was always the fastest and most controllable for me.  Blending layers has never allowed you to control at the brush level. The gradient tool only has straight angles that you still have to erase if you don't want a straight or angled fade.

Could the program have an issue with this now?  Will I be forced to adjust the way I go about a quick image fade and have to start adding layers above and adjustment layers for this simple effect? Or am I just looking at a graphic card driver issue simply not handling the presentation of it correctly? 

I have thought for a while now that it was maybe just my nvidia 4000 card. But now seeing someone else mention it makes me wonder.  This is maybe an issue some typical web PS users might never care much about or notice.

I want to be clear that I'm seeing the issue of the original post but I'm not using the gradient tool at all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points