Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I have come across a few Elements 9 tutorials

Mar 8, 2013 6:04 PM

that explain how to use transitions and effects. Some of these look just great and I am keen to try them out.

However, when I look at the screenshots that go with these tutorials I notice that in the 'storyboard' part of Elements 9 they always show the clips as a sequence from the beginning of the movie until the end. There might be a series of these clips that complete the movie.

I can't seem to array my clips like that. I just have the one clip (the cover or first clip) in the 'storyboard', so it's not really possible to introduce effects or transitions.

How would I open up a movie (any movie: youtube, whatever) saved on my hard drive - does the format wmv, MP4, etc, matter? - so that it appeared in the storyboard in a clip sequence that permitted me to introduce effects/transitions along the storyboard, etc?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Just a thought, as I never use Scenline (Storyboard), do you have your Clips on multiple Video Tracks? If so, they do not appear correctly in Sceneline.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to SteveH59

There are two ways you can proceed to practice with transitions. Add more videos to your storyboard timeline or, in timeline view, cut your existing clip into several parts (position the Current Time Indicator where you want the cut and press Ctrl+K or click the cut icon).

Adding more videos will likely give you the better view of transition effects as the clips will be very different. Splitting the existing video means you will end up transitioning between a continuous clip and the effect might not be so obvious (unless you mix up the order or start cutting sections out).

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Steve,

If you are working with Transitions, and have not encountered Handles, then I would look over this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3727485#3727485

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to SteveH59

Almost every Transition relies on Handles to function as most users want. The exception (that comes to my mind) is a Dip-to-Black/White, if applied to both Clips, as Handles do not come into play - only the black, or white.

One tip, if using Dip-to-Black, or Dip-to-White, would be to add just a moment of Black Video, or a Color Matte, set to white. I find that this gets you a stronger "feeling" for those Transitions. I use Dip-to-Black very often, and use it to denote the passage of time, say between one location and another. The greater the time in my story, the longer the Black Video between those Clips. I do not use Dip-to-White all that often, and seldom any other Transitions beyond Cross-Dissolve, and of course, the Butt-Cut.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points