Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to delete pattern installed twice?

Mar 8, 2013 9:46 PM

Tags: #photoshop #help #pattern #texture #patterns #photoshop_cs6 #textures #pattern_files #manage_patterns #import_patterns #export_patterns #delete_a_pattern #delete_texture #manage_textures #pattern_list.

Hello:

I have accidentally loaded some patterns more than once and so they are repeated in the list (which is more annoying than anything at this point).

I have checked the manual and it just says to go to any Pattern pop-up menu and to then select the pattern and hold the Alt key and click (pointer turns into scissors) and the pattern will be deleted.

Well, this just hasn't worked for me.

I don't want to delete the patterns by going to program program files > adobe > presets ... or what have ya b/c I do want one copy.

Is there a way to clear them all from the list and then I can reload/import the patterns again?

I have tried to get rid of the duplicates in the list by using the Preset Manager, the Import/Export panel and by (of course) the (above) Alt + Click on the pattern name to no avail.

All in all I would just like to keep my patterns organized so as the collection grows I'll be able to manage them better and find 'em more quickly.

Thank you in advance for your time   Hope you're having a great day/night

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2013 10:47 PM   in reply to Kar209

Reset patterns to the defaults from the picker menu, or alt/option click each preset to delete it.

Also read up on the preset manager.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to Kar209

Then try opening the Preset Manager use the pull-down menu select Patterns.  Look at the patterns that are loaded find and highlight the dupe(s) and use the delete button to delete the loaded dupe.  If you save a set of patterns with a dupe in the set. You will need to replace the loaded patterns with that set delete the dupe and re-save the set.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to Kar209

Kar209 wrote:

Hello:

I have accidentally loaded some patterns more than once and so they are repeated in the list

Hi Kar

Do you mean the list of Pattern Set names in the menu that's accessed from the little button at top-right of a Pattern picker panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to Kar209

OK, you and I are on the same page. Others are telling you how to delete Pattern swatches instead of remove Pattern menu items.

The duplicate items in the menus will be the names of duplicate .pat files stored in one of the multiple Patterns folders in which Photoshop looks for these files in order to populate the menus. You will need to remove the superfluous .pat files then relaunch Photoshop to be rid of the duplicate menu items.

The paths of these Patterns folders depend on the version of Photoshop. If you don't know how to locate them then post your Ps version and OS.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points