Skip navigation
BB 2112
Currently Being Moderated

No sound from external audio files

Mar 8, 2013 10:01 PM

Hi there..

I designed my music website in 2008 in After Effects & then had my friend who knows Flash really well design the frame I guess you could say to house my short looped movies/pages & buttons, links, ect. Everything looked fantastic. The sound files (mp3) were put in the same folder and were pulled in (linked) externally to reduce file size. I took the website down around 2011 planning to update and re-launch but never did until now. The problem I'm having is that my sound files played only one time on the 1st go & then after the .swf was updated never played again and for the life of me cannot figure out why? I wasted 2 days trying many things with no luck. I even tried all of the many extra copies I made of the website in case the original got corrupted and they all (6 of them) show the same behavior. Strange. The sound plays once and then never again. It was great before as I could just update the sound file in the folder and bam.. it would play. Also.. the reason I don't add the music to the movie in AF is because the movie is shorter and I just have it looped in Flash to keep the size down while the song plays at full length separately within Flash. I now have resorted to manually placing the sound directly in the timeline (soundbank) in Flash and that does work but my.swf is huge! Where before it was acceptable and even with today's internet speeds would be even better. So I'm starting to wonder if this has something to do with today's "Flash Player"? I have tried publishing out to my more recent version of Flash player with no luck as well. What could have changed? Again.. I saved out about 6 copies of the Flash site to various HD's for back-up and they all worked great but now none play my external sounds which again are all in the same folder. Any help would be so much appreciated and sorry for the long rant. Just stumped & frustrated as I need to get my site up.

Thanks so much!

Message was edited by: BB 2112 Well.. I just opened another back up of my website and this time saved one of the .swf's to the desktop. It plays great. Then I opened my FLA  to test and when it updated the .swf it now no longer plays? This happens on all my pages. I then deleted the updated .swf and put back the old .swf and all is good again. The problem is I have created all new  FLV's I really need to update my website and get it up. Thanks again in advance!

Replies
  • kglad
    72,261 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 8, 2013 10:59 PM   in reply to BB 2112

what url displays the sound problem and what action is supposed to start a sound?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,261 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 9, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to BB 2112

you said you're loading your sounds.  that sound is attached, not loaded.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,261 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 9, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to BB 2112

it's hard to determine because what you're writing and what i'm understanding don't agree.

to start, the code you showed would require you to export your sounds for actionscript (if the sounds actually play).  that will NOT result in a smaller file size than adding sounds to timelines.

if you use the code you showed and you actually do see megabytes less swf file size, you haven't exported your sounds correctly and they will not play.

so, open your library panel and scroll to the sound that has linkage id midnightInMadrid and take a screenshot showing that linkage id.  attach that screenshot.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,261 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 10, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to BB 2112

i'm not sure what you mean by, "not playing the mp3 that is in my project folder".

your setup should play Midnight_in_Madrid160.mp3 that's in your library, not a file in a folder.  if you click the play button that's shown in the library window in your attached image, you should hear a sound.  do you?

if yes, do you hear that same sound when frame 3 plays?

if no, what is the url (eg, http://www.bb2112.com/test.html) of your embedding swf html file?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,261 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 12, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to BB 2112

create a new fla, add midnight to your library and copy your code and test if the sound plays in new fla test and new swf.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,261 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Mar 12, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to BB 2112

you're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...