Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Won't burn a disc...

Mar 8, 2013 9:46 PM

I have completed a project, set all markers and menus, rendered all files etc.  Started the burn process and after about 15 mins, it stops working and opens the burner with this message in the Public Share display area:

I cannot see the entire message as the program remains froze up for another 5 mins, then the "not responding' message appears. 

Pic below reads:  operatingsystem error: number 0x00000020 -The process cannot access the file because it is being ___________

IMG_1357.JPG

Have burned several projects in the past with no issues, now this has happened twice in a row, what gives?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to P1965

What model of camcorder is your original footage coming from and what format and resolution is it? What (under the Edit menu) are your Project Settings?

How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your C drive?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to P1965

As a test, set your DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write the folder to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to P1965

>added media of .jpg

Pictures that are "overly" large cause video editing problems

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

>did try copying the project to a file

No, that is not what I said... you tell PreElements to create output to a FOLDER on your hard drive, and you then tell Imgburn to burn the folder to the DVD

Put a commercial movie DVD in your drive and, after you exit from the player, use Windows Explorer to look at the folder structure... that is what you want PreElements to create for you, not a file

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:22 AM   in reply to P1965

If you have no menus it sounds as though you are exporting the movie to a movie only format. What John is saying is to select Folder as your output from the Share> Disc dialogue.

1.png

This creates a folder on your disc that should play exactly like a DVD disc (if you don't have a software DVD player use the excellent free VLC).

If this works then the problem you have is not with the project or the PRE burning process but more likely with your burning hardware and/or blank disk media quality.

If it doesn't work then there is a PRE problem and we can proceed from there.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to P1965

Can you Publish & Share/Computer/AVI?

(This is part of the process of troubleshooting a DVD burn issue, as we discuss in my books and in the FAQs to the right of this forum: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318 )

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 5:29 AM   in reply to P1965

If it works with a software player on the folder then PRE is producing the correct output. Not getting menus when you then burn that folder to disk suggests you are burning it as a data disk rather than a DVD Disk.

Try burning with ImgBurn using the Write files/folders to disc option. When you point it at the folder with the .VOB files and click burn it will recognise that it is a DVD disk and write the correct format. It will prompt you for a volume label.

1.png

Concerning the PRE burning component failing:

• Do you have any other disk burning software loading when your computer starts? Especially packet writing software such as Nero InCD, Drag-2-Disc, or DLA.
    • What brand of blank disc are you using?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to P1965

Disc brand is TDK - same as used in Pre 8 with success and several in Pre 11 until last attempts.

This might be part of the problem. Once TDK was a very respected brand of blank media. However, not that long ago, they adopted the "Memorex Business Model," where they buy the cheapest blank media available that day, then rebrand it with the "TDK" logo. What can happen is that some blank discs will be of much higher quality, than others on the same spindle. I have seen 4 different brands of blank discs in a Memorex spindle - some work well, but many do not. One of the neat little features of ImgBurn, is that it will survey your blank media, and tell you exactly who actually made it, plus the lot number.

For burning to disc, I only use Falcon Pro Media, Verbatim or Taiyo-Yuden blank media, and never anything else. To date, with well over 2000 DVD's delivered, I have never had any issues, or even one returned disc.

As for the Assets that you added, between the last time that you burned a DVD, two things need to be explored:

1. The JPEG's need to be Scaled to close to the Project's Frame Size, say 1000 x 750 pixels for a DVD Project
    2. The MP3's could be an issue too, and I always convert any MP3's to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and Import those

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to P1965

There is no reason you should do this. You should easily be able to burn a 1 hour to 70 minute project to a disc with no problems.

But, of course, a lot depends on your computer, how fast it is, how well maintained it is, what model of camcorder your original video is coming from, how well your project is set up for that type of video, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to P1965

That FAQ Entry lists the concept of "smaller Projects," as a workaround IF one's computer is underpowered. Yours should not be.

I can easily produce a 2 hour DVD-Video on a laptop, with far weaker specs. than your computer.

Now, Scaling overly-large Still Images will likely be very helpful. Even on a powerful computer, having to process loads of unused, unnecessary pixels, in large Still Images, will still present a resources problem. There is nothing to be gained, and much to be lost, by Importing overly-large Still Images into a DVD-Video (or even a BD) Project.

One thing that you might consider, when Scaling Still Images for use in a DVD-Video, would be to do the Save_As and use PSD, the native Photoshop format, instead of the common, and popular JPEG, which compresses the Image, with some degree of quality loss. Though the PSD's WILL be larger files, PrE can process them beautifully. As one is already giving up quality, just going to 720 x 480 (NTSC) DV, adding even a slight quality loss from JPEG compression, is something that I want to avoid.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to P1965

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798 has ideas

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)