Skip navigation
keglined
Currently Being Moderated

Any Planned Stabilizer Improvements??

Mar 9, 2013 1:53 AM

Tags: #stabilize #shaky #shaky_video #video_stabilization #video_stabilizer

I've been testing a few different video editing programs, running through trials, embracing a few programs, and quickly uninstalling many others after momentary glimpses of their shoddiness.

PE 11 is currently at the top of my list, and I'm so very near to closing the deal right now.  A few minor features I'd prefer be different -- or, "fixed," IMO (like the fact you can't lock tracks!) -- but the stabilization abilities of this program baffle me.  So much else about PE 11 is ..,appropriately enough... premiere, but the stabilization is just horrible.

Stabilizing shots from a more or less stationary point is one thing, but when the camera is moving forward or looking to the side (shoreline from a relatively smoothly running boat), the video stabilization does no good whatsoever.  In fact, it actually makes things worse -- what was a somewhat rough looking ride is now peppered with spasmic jerks in some random direction, every second or two.  I've toyed with the parameters (smoothing, direction, etc), but to no avail.

If virtually all the other "acceptable" trials I'm running now weren't doing a better job with stabilizing these shots (one program, in fact, superbly so), I'd not be here expressing this concern.  But, looking at PE 11 as a whole, I have to presume the brains behind the software just haven't gotten to improving video stabilization since some much-earlier version.

And so my question is: are you guys working on bringing your video stabilization up to par?  If so, will that be included any time soon?  Would that be an update I'd get for free, after buying the current version?  Are there third-party plug-ins I can use here, and how much are those?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to keglined

Only Adobe knows.

This is a user-to-user forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to keglined

>features I'd prefer

Tell Adobe at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The more people ask for something, the greater the chances that Adobe will add/fix/change something

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to keglined

If virtually all the other "acceptable" trials I'm running now weren't doing a better job with stabilizing these shots (one program, in fact, superbly so), I'd not be here expressing this concern.  But, looking at PE 11 as a whole, I have to presume the brains behind the software just haven't gotten to improving video stabilization since some much-earlier version.

Would you please post which one program does it superbly?

Thanks.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to keglined

keglined wrote:

............PE is by far the most stable, and produces the best cleanup of my footage, overall (lighting/gamma/etc). 

2 years ago I started learning video from scratch.  I tried the very-good-for-some-things software that came with my camera.  Then I decided to find the best NLE.  I was wasting a lot of time as they are all complicated.  I finally threw a dart and picked Premier Elements and enjoy it a lot as a gradually understand all of the layers on layers of features and tool.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to keglined

Were you trying this at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family? which covers Premiere Elements as well.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to keglined

Photoshop.COM has become Adobe Revel. This FAQ Entry might be useful to you: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5006041#5006041

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points