Skip navigation
shoregrl20
Currently Being Moderated

iPhoto '11 migration to PSE11

Mar 9, 2013 8:41 AM

I want to move all of my photos to PSE11 as I am shooting in raw and it is much easier to organize and edit in one software.  What will be the best way to migrate the pictures as I have all of my photos organized by event in iPhoto?  I do not have to keep them in events in PSE11 if there is an easier way to migrate them, thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to shoregrl20

You can use the From iPhoto command in the Organizer. However, if you are planning to do all your images at once, be sure you have enough disk space, since you will need to duplicate them (the from iphoto command does this) to get them out of the iphoto library. Have you used organizer enough to be sure this is what you want to do? If so, you can delete them from iphoto afterwards to free up the disk space.

If you have applied keywords and such in iphoto, it may be better to export each event, put it where you're going to want to keep your photos, and use from files and folders to import them, since the export dialog gives you more options for what information to keep.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to shoregrl20

Well, you do know you can set PSE as your external editor for iphoto and send the raw files from there? You will need to turn on the pref in iphoto prefs>advanced, and be sure you choose the right file as the external editor, this one:

pse11 editor location.png

You may very well find Organizer is what you prefer. I just think it's best to try it a while with a smaller test catalog to be sure which you prefer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 10:47 PM   in reply to shoregrl20

That should not happen if you have turned on this checkbox:

iPhotoScreenSnapz001.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to shoregrl20

What you are showing is the raw converter, so I'm totally confused. What are you expecting to see instead?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to shoregrl20

When you convert a raw file and save it in an image format, you are changing the format so iphoto does not see that as a version. You can save to the desktop (NEVER try to make it save into the iphoto library) and import the converted file as a new image. This is going to be the case with any raw conversion software and iphoto, unless you choose to let OS X do the conversion for you, in which case you have no control over what you get.

ACR doesn't make a PSD. That's a suggestion for a format, not a pre-chosen one.

Organizer is a bit more attuned to raw than iphoto is. iPhoto is really designed for jpg shooters and its limited ability to work with raw files is kind of an afterthought. Apple intends Aperture for organizing raw files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points