Skip navigation
Howowo5
Currently Being Moderated

How to draw two shapes without seeing miter join?

Mar 9, 2013 6:31 PM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #path #objects

Working in Illustrator CS5

Hopefully you can see below, I've drawn the shape on the left and closed the path - it's a closed shape. I then drew another shape on the right, with the two corners exactly placed on the other shape's corners, and I'm getting some sort of overlap/miter join of somesort. Best way I can describe it.

http://i.imgur.com/zYvvz3E.jpg

Now I know how to join to open path end points, with the JOIN command. That's not what I'm after here. Simply when I draw another closed shape with the corners matching the other shape, I get those rather awkward and ugly corners? Or can you use the JOIN command? Totally lose here.

Any way to stop this from happening? Surely I'm simply missing something blatantly obvious here?

I guess the question would be: how to draw another shape that joins with the original closed path, without using the pathfinder tools. I want two seperate shapes so that I can colour them independantly, and not have those horrible corners.

Hope that makes sense and any answers are greatfully asppreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to Howowo5

This is one possibility, which yields a rounded corner:

Artwork 3.png

And another. Please note that I've moved the anchor point of the upper path to the right:

Artwork 4.png

There are other ways to accomplish what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 11:37 PM   in reply to Howowo5

Set your strokes to be inside your shapes, not centered...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 12:36 AM   in reply to Mylenium

I knew I was forgetting something basic.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Howowo5

Howowo,

You may consider this hopefully not too silly option:

With Butt Cap and with Miter Join and with the Stroke normally centred, you may:

1) Select both paths and Pathfinder Unite (or Add to Shape Area or whatever else gets them joined into one path in your version),

2) With the Line Tool, drag between the Anchor Points where the two paths met.

That will give you sharp (but not overly sharp) outer corners and the same Stroke Weight throughout, and the strokes will be precisely on top of the paths instead of offset so you avoid any distortion. And you will still have two paths. Obviously, this implies that you can use the same fill colour for the whole shape.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:36 AM   in reply to Howowo5

Is this simply a result of aligning strokes to centre...

Yes, it's just a consequence of the way strokes work and simple geometry.

...and there's no workaround?

You've been offered several workarounds.

The only solution I've found is to have the strokes centered as suggested, with a round corner join.

That's the simplest (and probably most common) workaround. But if it needs to be picture-perfect, you can start with the original mitre joins, outline strokes, union, and then use the minus Pen to delete the unnecessary anchors.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points