Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro and storage

Mar 9, 2013 7:03 PM

I would like to know why editing on Premiere Pro is occupying so much space on my hard drive.

Last time I noticed I had about 152 GB free space.  I didn't do anymore than rediting and all of a sudden I have 82.7 GB.

What is using so much space?  What is it and where are the files?

I deleted the autosave files and deleted the rendered files (so I think).

Would you know what is happening?  I have about 10 min worth of video I have to edit but I am afraid that at the rate I am going my hard drive is going to run out of space.

Please help fast.

I MUST ADD THAT AS I AM EDITING ON PREMIERE PRO I AM ALSO UPDATING MY ENCORE PROJECT... MAYBE ALL THOSE ENCORE  FILES ARE OCCUPYING THE SPACE BUT I DONT WHERE THEY ARE ????

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to videope

If you are using windows, after rendering in Premiere Pro open Windows Explorer and search on files created today. You should be able to find your files with a little effort.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 11:22 PM   in reply to videope

You say "On my Hard drive" - does this mean that you have only one hard drive, and that all your media, previews, and the media cache is on the same hard drive as your operating system?

If so, you are certainly going to have problems.

Premiere accumulates a large volume of supporting files to enable smooth editing, as does Encore, transcoding in Encore produces yet more.  You can set the location for the Media cache and database in the Edit>preferences menu.  It needs to be on a separate fast hard drive to your media.  you also need a location off your system drive for the accumulated render files.

The media cache and database is in the same location for both Premiere and  Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to videope

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

-Mac version http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070067

I have 3 hard drives... boot, project and media

When I create a new project, on my project drive, I also tell PPro to put all temp files for that project on the project drive... not any default drive

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to videope

Something is wrong but it isn't normal. Here is mine and I have the entire Creative Suite installed via the Creative Cloud. Just about every program Adobe has. Mine is CS6 of course, but still, that just doesn't make sense.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to videope

What are your Premiere Media Cache and Preview file locations?

Are you using After Effects as well?

If so, what is your After Effects Disk Cache location?

If you do a bunch of Ae 'Cache Renders',

it can really eat up your disk space in a hurry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

I just checked the dates on the files in my Adobe folder. shown above. I searched on *.* and sorted by date. The only directories with recent changes are as shown below. Everything else is older. So if yours looks different it is probably because you are storing stuff there that you should be putting elsewhere.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to videope

i use to have a problem with the suite eating up space. I went in AE>edit>prefeerences>general>media & disk Cache then click on clean database & cache...that solved my problem but i dont know if that will mess up your current project or not....i do this after every project and has worked for me...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to videope

This forum is fine because it deals with things that Pr is creating more than the hardware used to run Pr.

Find which of those folders is eating up the most space.  See what's inside that folder.  If it's cache files and/or rendered preview files, you can safely delete them to free up space.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to videope

Videope,

I have pretty much the same file list as you, except that I do not use Illustrator or Soundbooth, but I do have Audition.  My Adobe folder is 1.98 GB.

So go down each of those folders in turn, R click and select properties, and as Jeff says, find out which one (or ones) are responsible for all the excess above 2 or 3 GB.  Then come back and tell us which folder it is, and we can take it from there.

It does not appear to be a hardware problem, but some sort of Premiere settings problem, and you have Premiere files on your system drive that should not be there.

You have never responded to my query about the number of hard drives in your system which I mentioned in an earlier post - you originally referred to your hard drive in the singular, which makes me suspect that you do not have your hard drives setup correctly for Premiere to work efficiently

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to videope

Inside the Common folder, how big is the Media Cache Files folder?  If it's big, just delete it.  Pr will create it again as needed.  Keep an eye on the re-created folder the next time you launch a project and see how fast it increases in size.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to videope

At last!!!!!

The single hard drive is the problem - you cannot edit successfully with just one hard drive!  What a pity you did not respond to my query about this at the time I made it.  We could all have saved some time, and you would have saved some grief!!!

Inside your Common folder, you will find folders called  Media Cache and Media Cache Files, and others too.  These two contain all the files Premiere generates to enable you to edit smoothly - many of them are created each time you perform an edit.  These files build up over time and are always greater in total GB than the original media.

These two folders MUST NOT be on your system drive C:\.  If you cannot add at least one, and preferably more internal drives to your computer, you must add an external drive as you had before.  if you use an external drive this must always be present when you start Premiere or you will be back to square one.

You must then go to Edit>Preferences>Media, and re-direct these to items to another drive.  In the short term, you can use the clean button you will find there.  That should remove any files that are no longer needed.

Premiere can easily handle a 5.6 MB project, but you have to provide it with the hardware resources.

Your media needs to be on a separate hard drive to your OS too, ideally NOT the Media cache/database drive too.

Please remember that those of us who try to help you may be experienced users of Premiere, but we are not able to second guess details of your system, settings, or procedures.  if we ask you for some information, there is a good reason, as without that information we are hamstrung.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

yea i had told you to use the clean button a couple of hours ago

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Sorry Jeff,  for the duplication -you gave the answer while I was composing my magnum opus!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Alan Craven

It was helpful and indeed very opus-y.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to videope

The size of the render files can get quite large for long projects. If you are in the habit of rendering, making changes, rendering, making changes and rendering .... Then the space required is going to be significant.

What I do, on the rare occasions that i have to render at all, is I delete all of the render files just before I go to dinner, or decide to take a break and watch some TV. I delete the files and then hit enter to render.

That way, only the files I need are on my hard drive. Keeping in mind that I have two 2TB drives in a RAID just for render and cache files, and I still run into danget of running out of room every now and then, you can see that people with smaller drives need to be a little more careful about their storage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points