Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Progress Bar Color

Mar 10, 2013 5:53 AM

Hi there,

my system is:

Win7 Pro, v. 6.1 (build 7601, SP1), Adobe CS6

I've changed the color of standard Windows Progress Bar from that ridiculous spring-green to dark blue.

Photoshop for its progress bar obviously uses same (OS) resource:

PsProgressBar.png

but not the Illustrator:

AiProgressBar.png

well, I can live with this... at least orange on black looks pretty.

sadly, in InDesign... it looks just ugly:

IdProgressBar.png

oh, English is not my native, maybe I miss some subtle meaning of words 'homogenity' and 'consistency'. Is this really 'Suite'? Could this mess be called 'Creative'?

sorry, just emotions.

My real question is:

maybe someone here has an idea where InDesign resources for Progress Bar are hidden? Bitmap(s) in some dll file, I guess?

Thank You!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to winterm

The licence does not permit you to screw in the code.

BTW I think this is not a problem which makes life hard to to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to winterm

You analogy to a coan of coke is interesting, but not really accurate. When you buy a can of coke you are actually taking ownership of the commodity and you can give it away, sell it, destroy it or anything else you like, as long as you don't violate any other laws. When you purchase a license from Adobe you are buying a non-exclusive, non-transferable (without express permission), right to use the software, but Adobe retains the ownership to the code. As part of the license agreement you promised not to reverse engineer or alter the Adobe code. This does not mean you are prohibited from extending the program functionality if you wish to write a script or plugin.

But all of that is probably irrelevant. I suspect the reason the progress bar won't change color is the same reason that the dark interface is not available -- the existing code simply doesn't support it. CS7 is supposed to change that, and perhaps it will fix your progress bars, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

... I suspect the reason the progress bar won't change color is the same reason that the dark interface is not available -- the existing code simply doesn't support it. CS7 is supposed to change that, and perhaps it will fix your progress bars, too.

Not ... entirely true, I'm afraid.

Usually, Windows software uses Windows-drawn dialogs; and these are drawn with the interface colors as set in the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog. (Disregarding the non-custom non-standard Microsoft alterations on Windows 7-and-newer, of course.)

Adobe chose to program their own Graphic User Interface, from scratch, so they had more control over the tools and options provided, and they could offer the same functionality on both Windows and Mac platforms. Alas, my verdict on that is a solid "fail". The functionality is far from 'the same'; not all standard functions one is used to in a GUI are present; parts of InDesign use a *different* UI (the butt-ugly Flash interface for File Info, for example); and, on top of that, as the OP noticed the Creative Suite is a 'suite' in name only, as it seems there are already differences in this basic component ...

What's that fascination with a Dark UI, by the way? Sure, it is *possible* to make a Dark UI using the new Carbon programming base, but it sounds more and more as if *this* is the feature to aim for -- and the rest, 64-bit and all, is merely a happy coincidence. I suspect the next Hip Thing will be a Neon Green interface.

I'm not too excited about my Dark UI in Windows 7:

darkui.PNG

.. but maybe I should await CS7. After all, this is not a "64-bit version", so a Dark UI wouldn't work anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

So, are you saying it's not true because Adobe COULD HAVE used the OS dialogs, or because, even though they made their own GUI they just chose not to allow it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

And for what it's worth I could care less about the dark interface, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

So, are you saying it's not true because Adobe COULD HAVE used the OS dialogs, or because, even though they made their own GUI they just chose not to allow it?

A mix, and possibly possibly both

1. Illustrator and Photoshop have used "native" dialogs for years and years on end. With InDesign (I think), Adobe chose to implement their own GUI.

2. As a programmer, you don't have to 'replace' the entire native GUI. You can use standard components (which will adhere to user settings) and add as much custom components as you like. With a custom component, the amount of user settings support depends on how much time you put into writing it -- i.e., either always draw your own layer menu background, or first ask the system what color it should be. Adobe chose to create one from scratch ...

3. ... so even familiar interface components such as a dropdown list behave subtly different from what one is used to. And even different in parts of the same program (to wit, aforementioned Flash components inside InDesign).

4. And, contrary to what one would think, then there are differences in this custom UI among the suite programs!

I'm behind ID CS4 on Windows 7 at the moment so I can't vouch the same holds for CS6 (Latest Update) on a Mac (Latest System Update) -- but a few of my personal interface related gripes are:

* inconsistent behavior of the Tab key inside dialogs (and it's even *worse* on a Mac, despite having set the appropriate system setting to allow tabbing around inside dialogs)

* the Alt key makes the Menu bar sticky to all keys, and only frantic and repeatedly hitting Escape will release it from its vice-like hold.

* the behavior of the Find/Change 'dialog' is totally inconsistent and irrational. Sometimes it goes into a sort of 'undefined mode', and no key press has any effect at all until I use the mouse to click it out of this mode.

* at times, the Pages panel scroll bar refuses to update; it tells me 'nothing to see down there' but I'm sure it ought to show several hundreds of pages more ... (after some shaking the panel around, and moving about in the document it usually submits).

And for what it's worth I could care less about the dark interface, too.

My guess this is a deliberate macguffin.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points