Skip navigation
DenAtAdobeUK
Currently Being Moderated

Why can't PS be more like LR ?

Mar 10, 2013 7:10 AM

Tags: #lightroom #photoshop #editing #undoing #continuity

I somehow had the impression that one could use PS CS5/6 in much the same way as Lightroom, in respect of 'continuous editing'.

In LR, if I close and restart, my situation is exactly as if I had stayed continuously open. I can backtrack, do whatever I could have done if I had not closed down (and even rebooted). The basic situation in LR is that one is always looking at the same photo with all the editing steps applied, but all the steps undo-able.

I thought that if I saved in PS as a PSD file, it would be the same, but of course, it is not.

Is there a mode for operating and saving files in PS in similare or same way as LR ?

If not, why on earth not ? LR is on version 4.3, so, although PS is a more mature product, there has been plenty of time for this desirable operation to be integrated.

I have been doing some work with PS which I really would like to have been able to go back on, but I now have the choice of staying with what I have got or going back to the original LR export and starting again. I also thought that using smart objects would do the trick, but first it limits what one can do and second only the layers seem to be saved and not the history.

Mind you, as I am not a PS or LR geek, I am probably missing something which is staring me in the face....

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 10, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to DenAtAdobeUK

Lightroom is a raw developer RAW files are not changed instead developing adjustment are recorded for the raw conversion By the Adobe RAW conversion engine.  The same happen within Photoshop Plug-in Adobe Camera RAW.  RAW file are convert by the Adobe RAW conversion engine and RAW conversion adjustment setting are recorded. The conversion can be open in Photoshop as a Pixel layer or a Smart Object layer into Photoshop.  These RAW  Smart object  can be reopened in ACR and adjustment can be changed like Lightroom can be used to change adjustment made using  it.  However Photoshop is a full blown Image editor with capabilities far beyond anything in Lightroom.  Photoshop power lies in layers and with layers users can edit their images in a nondestructive way or not.  Its up to the users the choice is their's.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to DenAtAdobeUK

I somehow had the impression that one could use PS CS5/6 in much the same way as Lightroom, in respect of 'continuous editing'.

Like JJMack pointed out: Photoshop is an image editing program.

If they so desire it is up to the Photoshop-users themselves to use Photoshop’s features (Layers, Smart Objects, Adjustment Layers, …) in such a way that they can edit or undo the changes they make to images later on.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to DenAtAdobeUK

Unless something has changed, LR does not accept .png file format.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS42D207D7-B290-4baa-A896- AB71965BF24B.html

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 10, 2013 1:49 PM   in reply to gener7

Why are you bringing up png file format in this thread?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 2:23 AM   in reply to DenAtAdobeUK

I disagree.

In my opinion storing the history would be a massive waste of resources and might encourage people to work even more sloppily than they do now.

And by maintaining as non-destructive a work flow as possible one can maintain the original image data in a layered file anyway.

History is only a set of operations,

But what about randomized Brush strokes?

To be able to perfectly re-create a Brush stroke, possibly of a Brush Preset that does not even exist anymore, that includes any randomization, I suspect the whole pixel content of each individual stroke would have to be stored … and that might run into a lot of data.

In any case it seems you are not alone with your wish, so you may want to add your support to Feature Requests on the issue over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

Maybe this for example:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/menu_item_save_w ith_history

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to DenAtAdobeUK

The only time I would like to see history preserved would be in Photoshop Autosave recovery so when I editing images in Photoshop and one of Photoshop bugs crashes Photoshop I now loose the current history, snapshots and the last few steps when Photoshop recovers what was being edited.  It would be nice in this case that snapshots and history were recovered but they are not.  Other then that storing a massive amount of data that will never be used is a waste. 

If you want to know how you edited a file you can have Photoshop create a history log. At least you can read Photoshop's history log still you can not use the log data for any useful other then review.  My memory is getting weaker as I grow older but not to the point that I would want to keep massive history logs.

I do like to work with more then Photoshop default number of history stats I find it a useful editing tool when playing around with an image. However if I want to preserve my work and know what I have done I save it in layered files.  With my work in layers I don't need history that may contain many state that were later modified or deleted.  How I edit is preserved in my layers and my work can be modified and continued.

Retaining History for other then teaching is a big waste of resources.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to JJMack

when I editing images in Photoshop and one of Photoshop bugs crashes Photoshop I now loose the current history, snapshots and the last few steps when Photoshop recovers what was being edited.  It would be nice in this case that snapshots and history were recovered but they are not.

Hard to argue with that.

But I doubt that this will be a feasible option anytime soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to DenAtAdobeUK

Masks are stored as just a value of 0 or 1 for each pixel in the mask

Layer Masks have the bit depth of the containing document (or rather one channel of the doc in the case of color images).

I dont think storing history would require much at all.

I wonder with regard to 3rd party plug-ins.

Suppose you applied a 3rd party filter and at a later time want to go through the history of a file, but the plug-in has been de-installed or you are working on a different computer … should the filter application be stored only in the form of the applied values or as the full resulting pixel content or, as you already mentioned, be deactivated in a »record-history« mode?

I don’t contest that there may be many photoshop users who would appreciate the feature you are after.

In any case people at Adobe have to decide where to invest their development resources and for those decisions my opposition is less relevant than your (in the plural) demand for the feature, I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Storing history can require up to as much space as storing the entire document.

Photoshop isn't just storing parameters for simple filters like Lightroom/ACR do - Photoshop is a full image editor.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points