Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trying to install Cs2 but old indesign won't uninstall or repair?

Mar 10, 2013 7:09 AM

Trying to install the "new" posted on adobe, Cs2. Win vista for business. 1st step- add/remove programs. old indesign won't uninstall or repair! Get " was interrupted - try again" "can't find xxxxx file in dat 1 cabinet" ???

Searched forums for hours now! Help please!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to gracefuli@aol.com

Why are you trying to reinstall if it was already there? Does it still run after your uninstall attempt? Was it running before you tried?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to gracefuli@aol.com

Was Vista a clean install, or an upgrade (actually, I'm not sure it was possible to install Vista on top of XP)?

I've not been able to install CS2 here on Windows 7, and I don't believe Vista is much different, so it's alrgely a matter of luck to get it to work. Are you doing the install in XP compatibility mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to gracefuli@aol.com

Just went back through my start menu, and it CS, not CS2 that would not install under any condition on Windows 7. CS2 is running in the Windows XP mode Virtual Machine. XP mode is a free feature of Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate, and does not install on Vista.

That said, you can download and install Windows Virtual PC (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.as px) which is a virtualization environment, and you can install Windows XP as a virtual machine from a set of XP disks.

There are people (and you seem to be one) who have successfully, more or less, gotten CS2 to install on Vista. I never ran Vista, so I'm shooting in the dark here a bit, but I would make the following recommendations for trying to get the programs installed:

First, run MSconfig and turn off all the unnecessary startup programs like Anti-virus and spyware scanners, third party firewalls, instant messengers, iTunes, browser helpers and toolbars, etc, and also go to the Services tab, hide all Microsoft services, and you can probably turn off just about everything that is left (lots of antivirus stuff runs as a service, for example). Re-boot into an adminsitrator account, cancel MSConfig when it reopens, and find the downloaded installer. If you have not already run the .exe file to extract the installer, do that next.

Once the installer is extracted, find the Setup.exe file, and right click it. In Windows 7 I have an entry to Troubleshoot Compatibility, and hopefully you have something similar. Choosing that gives me two options, Use Recommended Settings, which might work, but there's no indication of what they might be, or Troubleshoot Program. Choosing that should bring up another dialog where hopefully you can see a checkbox that says the program used to work in an earlier version, which you should check, and clear any others, then press next, which should bring up a list of previous versions where you can select Windows XP.

From there it should run the setup program in XP comaptibility mode, and once installed you should be able to set the program itself to also run in XP compatibility mode.

When the installation is complete you can run MSConfig again and click the Normal Startup radio button and reboot.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'd just add that I've got the CS2 Suite installed here on Windows 7

Ultimate 64-bit and it's all running fine, without needing to use XP

mode or Virtual PC.

The only thing that doesn't work that I've come across is the Acrobat 7

print-driver. That is to say, the PDF printer is not installed. (Of

course, it is still possible to export PDFs from InDesign CS2 etc.)

I keep CS2 here for old projects. Plus, when I was still using CS4, I

found that Word documents that crashed InDesign CS4 were sometimes

placeable in CS2. Now with CS6 things seem much better in that respect.

Anyway, IIRC it is necessary to change the destination folder for the

install manually (maybe that is just a 64-bit issue).

HTH,

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to gracefuli@aol.com

Could you go ahead and run the Microsoft Fix it and then try to uninstall InDesign CS2.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to gracefuli@aol.com

gracefuli@aol.com wrote:

I'll need to find xp disc's before trying any of above.

No. The point of all those complicated steps I suggested was to try the install directly in Vista WITHOUT the XP virtual machine or disks...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points