Skip navigation
Rich Heins
Currently Being Moderated

Photos downloaded into Bridge aren't listed in the order in which they were shot

Mar 10, 2013 8:26 AM

Tags: #cs6

When I download photos from my compact flash cards (from my Nikon D3 & D3s) they don't always load in the order they were shot.  It's annoying to go through sequences of sports shots only to jump back and forth in the sequence.  Anyone know why this happens and how to correct it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to Rich Heins

This seems like a Bridge question, so you may want to check in that Forum.

Anyway what is View > Sort set to?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Rich Heins

Occasinally that question comes up a studio shoot with multiple cameras, but it usually is a user error.  The time is recored in 1/100 of a second and are sorted that way.  THe problem arises when the two cameras are not set exactly the same, and set to correspond to computer time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to Rich Heins

Rich Heins wrote:

The sort is set to filename.  The filenames are consecutive but aren't labeled in the order in which they were shot.

If sorted by file name, you re-name them, and they are now view out of order it is your naming technique.  Be careful of the first character as it sets the sorting.  If you have a blank space then AA it will sort different than if you have just AA. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Curt Y

The sort is set to filename.  The filenames are consecutive but aren't labeled in the order in which they were shot.

It is a flaw of either Bridge or Photodownloader or both. It seems not being able to read the milliseconds of the data or this data is not in the correct place. But images taken at high speed are often not in the right order.

Maybe the scripting forum has a solution for it but it is a long standing problem and knows where to read the correct milliseconds data for a correct sorting order.

Even 2 or 3 shots taken in the same second can be in a wrong order, let alone the result of High speed motor drive of todays dSLR.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 12:04 AM   in reply to Rich Heins

Have you tried sorting by »By Date Created«?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Rich Heins

Any idea why they get out of order while downloading?

Not really.

But you may want to rename them when in that order; I think renaming just takes the order in which images are listed at the moment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points