Skip navigation
Lyndonhr
Currently Being Moderated

Problem opening multiple pictures in Photoshop

Mar 10, 2013 9:38 AM

Problem opening multiple pictures in Photoshop.  OldBob1957 has given me some suggestions on how to overcome this problem.  I tried to Edit.Purge>All, Reset Preferences, Delete the Adobe Photoshop x Prefs.psp folders and Ctrl+Alt+Shift on Photoshop startup.  Did not work, what next?  Delete all the PSP folders.?  There are 45 more in my computer.  Any help will be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 9:30 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Could you post a link to his help, so we can read what has been done, so you don't have to retype everything all over again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

What exactly is the problem? More than one photo won't open? Or does the software lock up?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

To help others help you, please read through this article and provide any additional relevant details.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Lyndonhr

What are your computer specs including RAM and OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

With only 4 gig of ram you are probably just running out of memory espeically in running CS6.  If CS2 then maybe not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Photoshop CS6 still wouldn't run out of memory, unless there was a problem with a driver, OS call or third party plugin.

I'd guess it's the video driver causing problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Yes, CS6 puts a lot more demand on the GPU than CS5 did.  Update driver.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 18, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

What video card do you have?

ATI has been having trouble delivering drivers that actually work with Photoshop lately.

If you have an ATI video card, seek out Catalyst 12.8, specifically, or 13.2 beta 7.  Only these two versions work well enough with Photoshop CS6.  Do not install a different version.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Lyndon,

Video drivers are a real "can-o-worms." First, the higher the version of Photoshop you use, the more that it will rely on the video driver. Second, each Windows update, might render a previously good video driver obsolete. That is why nVidia, and AMD issues new ones so very often.

When one has ANY GUI/display issue, the first thing that I suggest is that they go to the mfgr's. Web site, and check for an update.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Maybe your system is running out of Photoshop scratch disk space or Windows swap file space. Post a screenshot of Preferences > Performance.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Setting the max memory to 100% is not a good idea.  Set it to the high side of the suggested range.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Lyndonhr wrote:

Hi Cnroy:

As requested:  [screenshot]

Thanks. You've certainly got plenty disk space for scratch and swap files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to Lyndonhr

Lyndonhr wrote:

After having the videop card upgraded I could open at least in excess of 30 pictures but each subsequent file after that the number of pictures I could open before receiving the error message:  "Could not complete your request because of a program error." would pop up.  I am back to opening four pictures but unable to open the fiifth with out closing and saving the previous four. 

If I read this correctly when first installed you could load 30 pictures, then each time the number gets less then down to 4.  Sounds like your memory, or page file, is filled up.  You might also try clicking edit/purge/all and see if that changes anything.

If you reboot your computer does the number go back up to 30 again?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to Lyndonhr

you can reinstall , sometime it's simple !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points