Skip navigation
whoomba
Currently Being Moderated

Does a newer version us USB?

Mar 10, 2013 5:31 PM

I have PE7. Bill Hunt told me that it only sees a miniDV camera connected with a 1394 cable. Can newer versions us USB? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to whoomba

As with nearly all video editing program, in Premiere Elements MiniDV must be captured over a FireWire connection.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to whoomba

I tried every way to Sunday to get USB to work under Win7 (XP under Virtual Box, MS Virtual XP) for me miniDV cam. Nothing worked. Finally gave up and bought this guy at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G6U8VY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 ?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $42 and there are cheaper ones out there, but the buyer reviews for this one specifically mentioned Win 7 and I wanted the problem solved. Works great. Love to be able to actually control the playback of the cam from the PrE capture app.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 4:18 AM   in reply to whoomba

The usb connection on a mini dv camera is for ingesting photo's.

The only way to get your footage from tape to pc is through firewire.

There are PCMCIA cards that allow firewire, that is if you have a connetion for that on the laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Where the confusion may lie is that Sony provided  "streaming USB" support under XP. I used the feature extensively with my aging Sony miniDV camera using Premiere Pro. The Win 7 USB drivers for my camera no longer support USB streaming and of course PrE only talks about IEEE1394 to capture.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points