Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Incorporating external sound within a clip without re-encoding

Mar 10, 2013 7:59 PM

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can save me a bit of time. If Premiere is not capable of doing certain things (see below) then I won't have to vainly search through the manual to find how to do them.

1. Can Premiere automatically align a sound clip that was taken with an external recorder, to the sound already inside an AVCHD clip? A TV cameraman I was talking to recently said that FCP can do it. For a particular clip, he just highlights a series of sound files (if I understood him correctly) and FCP chooses the right one and aligns it to the existing sound.

2. Can I import a clip in AVCHD format (taken on a GH2), remove the existing sound track and replace it with another (for example, as above), and save again as AVCHD, without the video part being re-encoded? What I want to do is store the externally recorded sound files within the clip instead of having them as separate files. Simplify my archives.

I don't need instructions how to do the above, I just want to know if it is possible, and what technical terms to look for in the manual.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 9:28 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

1. might be possible if both clips have identical timecode.

2 can't be done with any software that I know of.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

(2) is possible because AVCHD is effectively the same format used on Blu-Ray discs, but it's a little fiddly. There are several third-party demultiplexer (demux) applications available which can separate the elementary streams from the MTS file on an AVCHD media card and give you the H.264 video and AC3/PCM audio streams as separate files, and matching multiplexer apps that will stitch the streams back together again without altering their internal data. If you can create a replacement for your audio stream which exactly matches the original in bitrate/length/timing then it should work just fine, but it's hardly a one-click workflow.

As this isn't anything to do with Adobe software and these apps are used to extract copyrighted material from Blu-Ray discs I'm not going to give links - but Google for 'AVCHD demux' and you'll find things to try.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Look into a third party application called PluralEyes.  FCPX has this function built-in, FCP7 does not.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points