Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I darken and clean up this logo?

Mar 10, 2013 10:20 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #help #image #logo #lines #scan #clean #scanned #darken #scannned_files

I drew this image and scanned it, and as you can tell the lines are very light and not precise. This is my original image:

Rlogo.jpg

I'd like to digitiliaze this image and make it more professional and clean. I've tried image trace in illustator and many adjustments in photoshop. Here is my result:

Rlogo2.jpg

Much better than what i started with but still not professional and clean enough for branding. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to TheAfterlifeProject

To be honest i would probably ether use the pen tool in illustrator or photoshop to trace the image.

You get so many more options and better quality probably than trying to fix the faded lines.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

I concur.

If the logo is likely to be reproduced at larger scales a vector version offers considerable advantages, so Illustrator would seem to be the primary choice for recreating it; but one can create vector data (eps or pdf) from Photoshop, too, if one prefers.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,976 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to TheAfterlifeProject

In Photoshop CS6 there may be an additional option beside the pen tool.   In CS6 You can change text into shapes.  Once you have the characters as one or more shape layers you can edit the shape  layer vector paths and distort the letter and move them about.  I think the combo WY may even  be made be merging shape layers. and when all shapes are in place merged into a single shape and also made into a custom shape that can be used with the custom shape tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:48 AM   in reply to TheAfterlifeProject

Just a quick example of the letter wy traced with the pen tool with the path stroked.

Untitled-2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,976 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to R_Kelly

While its possible to use the pen tool to do a good job it take better skills then I have with the tool

Logo.jpg

What is nice about having a single vector Path is they can be worked made better an saved as a custom shape.  Shapes can be sized constrained to its Aspect ratio or distorted into and aspect ratio. Shapes can be filled with solid color or pattern. They can also be stroked and the stroke adjusted.  Shape layers can also have Layer Styles. Example

CustomShape.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,976 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to TheAfterlifeProject

Yes the pen tool is very powerful however like many tools in Photoshop you need to learn how to use it and you need to practice using it. Search the Web for Eddie Tapp's ABC of the pen tool.  IMO its the best tutorial on the pen tool I have seen.  Some time Eddi make it available on the web otherwise you have to buy one of his CD that has the tutorial.  You would learn nothing if I uploaded the custom shape.  You should learn how to use the Pen tool if you have and plan on using Photoshop.

You also have to learn how to edit the paths you create with the pen tool.  If you just create a large text layer Rowdy you can convert that to a shape layer and use the direct selection tool, path selection tool and the Pen tools to edit and play around with editing a path like you want.

If you do not know Photoshop well and have never used the Pen tool you will most likely not be able to trace Rowdy for some sub path like in the r o and d need to be made subtract sub paths.  Converting text into a shape will do that for you.

Eddie Tapp tutorial can not find the video tutorial which is a great tutorial but I did find this

http://books.google.com/books?id=yV723mH2FtoC&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=%2 2Eddie+Tapp%22+ABC+Pen+Tool&source=bl&ots=fO5E3euhq-&sig=xLFbf8vu_HUei 6qYU3e5ZS2bzU4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WjA-UfnLOoq80AGdqYGIDg&ved=0CE8Q6AEwAw#v= onepage&q=%22Eddie%20Tapp%22%20ABC%20Pen%20Tool&f=false

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to TheAfterlifeProject

+1 to the Pen Tool.

Once you have the logo as a well-drawn path, you can manipulate it easily.

When you're drawing with the pen, try to create a minimum of points, and adjust the bezier handles to get your curves to align with your artwork fairly well.  Then once you've drawn the paths, you can turn the whole thing into a shape layer as described above, disable the artwork layer, then fine-tune it to look really good.

Use the Control key while adding points with the path tool to move them around to fine tune things.   If you click in the wrong place, use the History to go back to redo one or more steps.

Once you have the path just as you want it, you can turn it into some pretty amazing stuff...  Here's a 3D extrusion of the path, for example.

Rowdy3D.jpg

Since I quickly drew the path to illustrate the above, I might as well provide you with a copy.  Click on the path with the direct selection tool to examine the points and bezier handles to get an idea of where I put them.

After you practice with the pen for a while it will become natural to you, and you'll find you can almost magically match drawn curves.

Have fun!

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/RowdyPath.psd

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,976 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

To show you how few and how close Noel path is to mine which was drawn over you image I downloaded.

RowdyPaths.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 11, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to JJMack

Well done, JJ, for doing it with even fewer points!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

pretty much answered good luck

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status