Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PMS colours and how to locate them

Mar 10, 2013 11:17 PM

Good evening Illustrators.

I have a question regarding PMS colours which I am greatly confused.

On the right hand side is the PMS colour chart with all the codes which represent each colour

when I go to my illustrator colour books I get a list of pantones coated and uncoated I also see APNA and HKS N and much more.

So my question is how do we know in which matching system our colour is found?my PMS colour chart has only a code to represent it.

and as an example I am typing to locate the colours I have marked in red rectangle box. I type it inot the find,but nothing seems to be located.

so id like to be helped how to go on about finding the appropriate PMS colour.

thank you.

u2a.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to inquestflash

ANPA or HKS has nothing to do with Pantone.

Actually in the Solid Coated and Solid Uncoated Series Pantone colors are the same, only printed on different stock (this of course doesn't apply to the Process Series). To match the printed result on screen they need different color books.

Which one you choose now depends on several criteria like: on which kind of stock do you print, if you need an exact representation on screen or if you need to automatically convert spot to process.

You mabe want to dive deeper into how color works.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Pantone overhauls the color tables now and then.

So since nobody knows where you got yours from or what they are based on, no one can tell. Ask the person who handed you those tables.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Pantone numbers are 4 digits so if you want a 3 digit color enter a space first and then the 3 digits.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 3:57 AM   in reply to inquestflash

HKS works different than Pantone, as the inks are different for the books. So HKS should be named like "HKS N 45", so you know which book it's taken from.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points