Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Live Paint inconsistency

Mar 11, 2013 5:13 AM

I've been banging my head against this for a while now. I've got two objects, the second of which is an exact duplicate of the first. One correctly fills with Live Paint (after making a LP object); the other simply doesn't.

Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 13.06.47 .jpg

Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 13.08.00 .jpg

I simply can't fill the right-hand partial circle. This was drawn in Vectorworks, brought in as a layered DWG. All worked perfectly, except for this one tiny area that refuses to be transformed into a LP-able area. Filling gaps doesn't help. I can manually copy the form on the left and replace the one on the right, but there are literally hundreds of these, and the pattern of LP and non LP is completely inconsistent. Is there some sort of process I can run that will sort this out? I'm at my wits end...

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to canipshun

canipshun,

Until a less silly solution appears, what happens if you delete the bad one and then copy the good (and correctly filled) one in its place?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to canipshun

Have you already tried the gap options?

Read about it in the manual.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to canipshun

Does everythinf really belong to the same live paint group?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to canipshun

Its due to the artwork.

Where things DO work, the paths intersect on the left (and actually overlap)....

Snap_005.png

Where things fail, the paths don't meet at all on the left.....

Snap_006.png

Gap detection doesn't seem to help. You ahve to select that left anchor where there's a gap and nudge the anchor up. Then Live Paint works with no problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to canipshun

Gap detection is of no help. You have to manually move that anchor toclose that gap.

And I enlarged the figure a great deal and then switched to outline mode to see what was actually going on. At 100% it's impossible to tell. And you can't zoom due to the original size (it's already at 6400%) Outline mode shows construction paths, not the strokes (View > Outline Mode)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to canipshun

No. You can't zoom past 6400%.

You can increase the size of the artwork to allow you to see things, but that's really the only solution if you need to zoom.

But all you really need to do is chnge the Preferences and set the Key Increment to .025pt then using the Direct Slection tool, click that anchor and tap the up arrow key once. Then Live Paint works.

Below is an animated gif. Click the image to see the animation.

clicky.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to canipshun

I did not edit the original art. I have no vested interest in misleading you. There is indeed a gap on the left side of the figures Live Paint won't fill. Whether you see it or not.. I see it. And when corrected Live Paint works.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to canipshun

Glad to help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to canipshun

I opened that file in AI CS 5 (the .pdf part) and had no issue to create the Live Paint group and fill the requested areas. No correction required.

Interesting …

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

That is interesting. I see the same (original) issue in CS5.1 here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points