Skip navigation
emmaTPR12
Currently Being Moderated

Rotating a single pattern swatch

Mar 11, 2013 6:31 AM

Tags: #illustrator #transform #object #cs6 #rotate #pattern_swatches

I am trying to work out how to rotate a pattern swatch without that rotation affecting all the other pattern swatches on my palette. I don't want the rotation to apply to just one instance of fill, I want to edit the actual swatch so that whenever it is used in the future, that rotation is applied.

I have tried the obvious - eg going to object, transform, pattern only... and it works, but it also rotates all my other swatches; and I can't work out if it's rotating it for just that object or if it's actually updating the pattern swatch orientation.

Additionally it would really help to be directed to some comprehensive and helpful tutorials on making patterns using the updated CS6 software - everything I've found so far just raises further questions for me. I'm talking about, for example, being able to change the width or rotation of a stripe within a pattern and have it still tile seamlessly.

I'm using CS6 on a PC. Thanks....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to emmaTPR12

Could you please post examples of your artwork when you experience the problems?

About the rotation of tiles: You could drag the pattern swatch onto the artboard, rotate it there and drag it back. Not entering the pattern editor should be easiest in this case.

Everyting about the technical nature of patterns still apllies the pattern swatches (e.g. the invisible rectangle in the background)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to emmaTPR12

Apply the Pattern then use Object > Transform > Rotate

untick the Transform Object box and enter your rotation degree.

Snap_007.png

You don't need to alter the actual swatch at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to emmaTPR12

OK, in this case: see Scott. I was thinking of rotations that make sense in this case, like 90°

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to emmaTPR12

I suggest you set pattern the fill rotation by using Scott's instructions or visually, by holding "~" key as you rotate using the rotate tool. This will rotate only the fill, not the object.

Once you have desired rotation, save the Appearance as a Graphic Style and assign it to any other object. You can save any number of "Graphic Styles" based on the same Swatch Pattern.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to rcraighead

Depending on what type of keyboard you have, it may be the < key (to the left of Z) instead of the tilde key.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to emmaTPR12

Do you know how to create a pattern swatch? You can check here for the constraints on patterns

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-64d6a.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points