Skip navigation
Chemistry guy
Currently Being Moderated

Conversion of Flash to the next big thing...HTML5??

Mar 11, 2013 6:37 PM

Tags: #flash #conversion

I have a lot Flash animations and tutorials with lots of buttons for navigation, text boxes for user input, and a lot of ActionScript 3 code. You can see what I've done at http://preparatorychemistry.com/Bishop_animations.htm and  http://preparatorychemistry.com/Bishop_Tutorials.htm. I have Flash CS6.

Every once in awhile I search the Net for information about how to convert my animations to something that will work on iPads. I did that again today, and I'm once again confused. I tried Swiffy, but many of my files are too big or have code it doesn't recognize. What are people doing for this? What's the next thing for animations like mine? Is it HTML5 for sure? Will HTML5 do what my animations and tutorials do? 

Thanks for the help

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to Chemistry guy

Have you looked at the createjs toolkit extension?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 3:17 AM   in reply to Chemistry guy

You could use your current Flash files and output them as iPad apps using AIR for iOS (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/air_for_ios.html), although you will have to register as an Apple Developer first to be able to create the .ipa installer files used by iOS.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Chemistry guy

Yes it does as it is essentially a normal Flash project inside a runtime (AIR) just as a .swf works inside the Flash Player browser plug in.

As a contract Flash Developer I have done nothing but AIR projects for the last 12 months and have AS3 projects running on Windows Desktops, tablets running iOS and Android and of course iPhones.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 1:35 AM   in reply to Chemistry guy

making apps with AIR is a totally different workflow from what you asked for in the first place.

You have to be clear about the drawbacks:

1.Your content can`run inside a browser

2.It has to bring its own Runtime (AIR instead of Flash)

3.You can only distribute via itunes and (biggest One)...

4.Apple has thelast word over every incremental change of your app

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:39 AM   in reply to Chemistry guy

Does this mean that I won't be able to make them available from my own website?

CORRECT, you will depend on itues to distribute it for you

How does Apple maintain control?

They can make/break your app by rejecting it, thus rendering your work pointless.

To go the AIR route, do I need a developer certificate and provisioning profile?

YES,

If so, how do I get them?

search apple developer

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Chemistry guy

You can get a Developer Certificate and the Provisioning Profiles by signing up (and paying) to become an Apple Developer at https://developer.apple.com

You can distribute AIR apps outside of iTunes by using a type of Provisioning Profile called "Ad Hoc" which limits you to distributing up to 100 devices, all of which you must have the serial number of.

You can add the serial numbers of up to 100 devices in your dev account and then create a Provisioning Profile that only allows installation on those devices. You then send out the app and the profile to users who add the two files to their iTunes app and in turn connect their device to iTunes via USB and install the app.

Ad Hoc distribution is for testing purposes rather than bypassing the App Store!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Chemistry guy

I can't remember exactly but I think I had to wait a few days before getting an email that my Developer account was now ready and accessible.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points