Skip navigation
LindaColli
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 for windows compatible with PE11 for Mac?

Mar 12, 2013 5:20 AM

Hi, I would like to work on the same project interchangeably on my Apple MacPro Laptop and my Windows desktop using an external drive and Premiere Elements 11 for Windows and PE11 for Mac. Is this possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to LindaColli

Premiere Elements projects are not cross-platform. You can't open a PC project on a Mac or vice versa.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to LindaColli

As I said, no. The project files are not cross-platform.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to LindaColli

You could share the file from your Mac version to a standard format (e.g. DV-AVI for standard definition material). You could then load that file into a project on your PC. But that is all it would be - a source file like any other. You couldn't for example edit effects that you had applied in the Mac version.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to LindaColli

Quality measurements are very subjective so I suggest you do some tests with short clips at differing quality settings to find settings that you find acceptable.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to LindaColli

Linda,

I do a lot of X-platform work, though at a slightly different level.

I hire some 3D animators, who are on a Mac, while I am on a PC. I request that they output their work to MOV with the Animation CODEC. Those are large files, but work perfectly in my PrE, or PrPro Projects on my PC.

Now, as has been stated, the Project, itself, will NOT be X-Platform, but much editing can be done on the Mac, and finished on a PC, with a PC PrE Project. Just Import that MOV as an Asset.

Besides the MOV [Animation], there are other otptions, as well, such as MOV [JPEG], or MOV [PNG]. Those will result in slightly smaller files, but with some compression in Motion-JPEG, and none in Motion-PNG. I just stick with the Animation CODEC, and do not mind the larger files, as I have tons of HDD space. To date, I have never had any issue with any of those delivered files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to LindaColli

When dealing with PrE, the main issue with X-Platform Projects is due to the authoring part (creating DVD, or BD files for those discs) of the operation. PrE uses many of the same Sonic AuthorCore modules, that Adobe Encore does, and those are NOT X-Platform, unfortunately.

With Premiere Pro, there is no authoring that goes into a Project. All of that is handled in Adobe Encore, part of PrPro, as of CS 3.

For use with PrE, a workaround is required, and that will yield a separate Project for the Mac, and for the PC, but one can output an AV file FROM the Mac PrE Project, and Import that (obviously not the full Project), into a similar Project on the PC. Close, but not the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to LindaColli

Linda,

Since your post, one user reported that they had been able to move Projects (PREL's) between a PC and a Mac. IIRC, they were using PrE 11. Maybe things have changed?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:44 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Linda,

This is the thread, to which I was referring to: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5159691#5159691

Not having both a PC and a Mac, I cannot test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points