Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why do my fonts render poorly in Bridge's PDF export?

Mar 12, 2013 7:23 AM

Tags: #font #pdf #bridge #rendering #export #type

I'm creating a PDF in Bridge CS6 from a series of .PSD pages I created in Photoshop CS6, to be printed as a MagCloud book (magcloud.com), and I expect the type to be clear and sharp, but instead, it's kinda crappy.

Shouldn't a PDF's type be vector and rendered in nice sharp lines?

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 12, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to krinkly2009

I'm creating a PDF in Bridge CS6 from a series of .PSD pages I created in Photoshop CS6, to be printed as a MagCloud book (magcloud.com), and I expect the type to be clear and sharp, but instead, it's kinda crappy.

Bridge only creates a PDF of the previews in Bridge and this functions to create a contact sheet.

If you save the files in PS as a PDF you can create a multipage PDF document using Acrobat Pro or other PDF viewers. The simple application Preview on a Mac has the option to drag and drop pages to a document and change the order. Don't know if Acrobat Reader also can do so.

And if you use text on images in the PDF the fonts also should be included and the color profile should also be looked at.

Also (I hope you don't mind me saying so) it is a bit unusual to have photo books printed using PDF, it takes much more care and knowledge for a good result then the usual print services that settle for jpeg files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to krinkly2009

I know nothing about the subject but there is a clue to back up Omke's statement in this post.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5141131?tstart=0#5141131

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 12, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to krinkly2009

Preview does work but it's a royal pain to use because you can only arrange the pages in a sidebar thumbnail. And Acrobat Pro will cost a couple hundred dollars. But obviously, Bridge isn't the way to go.

I do understand the bit about costs for Acrobat Pro but don't get the pain for preview. Personally I use PS for the layout of 1 page (a spread) and add all images and other to this file as a smart object in layered PSD files. When finished and satisfied about the whole project I flatten and save as jpeg with filename 1, 2 etc as per order of the pages and add this pages to the album software which then is a piece of cake.

Assuming there is no difficult print order with front and back pages and multiple pages on one lay out to be dealing with the drag and drop in preview should be no different to adding as pages in the software, but I never used MagCloud so not sure

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 12, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to krinkly2009

drag into Acrobat Pro (I've got a trial version) to create a combined file.

If you have often need for this books you might want to look at a cloud subscription for Adobe, a monthly fee (about 60 dollar or so) provides you not only with Acrobat Pro but also the other cloud applications, in fact the Adobe Master Collection.

Disadvantage: While you can download the applications to your own computer you don't 'own' it your self so if you stop your subscription you can't use it anymore.

Advantage: Predictable monthly costs (a fair rate in relation to what you get) and always the latest updates (most updates are earlier provided to cloud subscribers).

I did not try Preview myself but I always thought when using Bridge to rename the jpeg (or PSD originals) in logical order and create an action to flatten the PSD and save as PDF to a new location you should be able to create a new multipage document in the correct order. And once saved it should stay in that order.

BTW, if you drag the border between miniature column and preview window you can adjust the size to larger thumbnails

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I have not used MagCloud but I have used Blurb's "experts" method where you download templates for pages and cover, create your own layouts using InDesign and pre-separated CMYK 300 ppi images and embedded fonts.

You then output to Acrbat Pro and upload the press-ready PDFs for direct to plate output.

I had a few pages printed the first time that I did this (so that I could use them as guides for expected dot-gain for setting-up my soft-proofing) and adjusted my final images in accordance with that information.

The finished books exactly match my monitor in both colour balance and ink density and type is crisp, sharp and correctly kerned.

The results from working in this way far exceed examples of books that I have seen which were also printed by Blurb but which had been submitted using their regular consumer package of sRGB jpegs and their presets for layout and typesetting.

Also, all of the books which are prepared using the CMYK/PDF upload method are printed at a single plant so consistency is maintained from reprint to reprint.

If you are concerned about quality, this seems to be the way to get it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points