Skip navigation
Vincent Hanratty
Currently Being Moderated

can a pattern created in illustrator CS6 be plotted?

Mar 12, 2013 9:21 AM

Tags: #help #cs6 #illustrator_

When a new pattern is being created in Illustrator CS6, the shaped objects that form the basis for the pattern, all have anchor points.However, when the pattern is then created and is stored in the swatch, it looses it's anchor points when it is used to fill an object. We are trying to trying to create patterns that can be cut out on a vinyl plotter which obviously means we need to find a way around this if possible.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to Vincent Hanratty

Expand the file after you've created the artwork using the swatch.  You should have all of your paths back.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Vincent Hanratty

Patterns are only stored in the files they are created in. If you need them in every new file, put them in a new document profile.

Concerning the bounding boxes: you need to delete them (they are clipping masks) and maybe further edit your art to get the desired result when plotting.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to Vincent Hanratty

Vincent Hanratty wrote:

Also when a pattern is created in the swatches panel, it seems to disappear when I finish that session of illustrator. What is the best way to save the new pattern so that I can access it every time I go in to illustrator?

You can tell I am just starting!

Before closing the file, in the drop-down menu for the Swatches panel, use Save Swatch Library.

--OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points