Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make metadata saved to xmp file stay saved?

Mar 12, 2013 2:50 PM

Tags: #xmp #metadata #raw_file

When a raw file badge shows that the file has been changed, I use Metadata Save to File & for the large majority of my images, the badge goes away and Metadata Status Changed does not show the file.  For some of my files, however, the Save to File command doesn't work properly.  If I am only displaying files with changes, the file briefly disappears, then returns.  Even if I go to Windows Explorer and delete the xmp file, then again Save metadata to file, it pops up again with the badge saying it needs to be saved.  Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong, or is there a bug?  I'm using Lightroom 4.3 64 bit on Windows 7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to Bob Metzler

You are not doing anything wrong; it's an old and well known bug. But the metadata is saved to xmp correctly.

It helps if you uncheck the box <Automatically save changes to XMP> in >Edit >Catalog Settings >Metadata tab.

Even when the box is unchecked you can do the manual Ctrl / Cmd + S to save metadata to file.

You can do a little test: do some editing for one of your photos then do Ctrl / Cmd + S and then go >Metadata >Read metadata from file.

You will not see any changes in your image, which means that all edits were saved in the xmp.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 4:42 PM   in reply to Bob Metzler

As webweaver states, it's an annoying bug that - from my experience - seems to occur at random with the occasional image. I always save metadata manually and so rely on a smart collection to prompt me as to which images need their metadata updating. It's therefore rather unhelpful when an image in the catalogue appears not to have saved the metadata when in fact it has. I've picked up some tips along the way which allow you to resolve the issue when it crops up:

- if it's a DNG, use the 'update metadata and preview' option;

- for any other format (and in fact this will likely work for DNG as well), save the metadata as usual, and if it bounces back again the use the 'read metadata from file' option.

Either of these methods should "force" LR to correctly indicate that the metadata for the file is up to date. Sure wish Adobe could sort this out though...

Hope this helps.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to Bob Metzler

I have determined one definite cause for this problem, documented (see 2nd post) here:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_4rc_ metadata_needs_to_be_saved_status_not_cleared_by_saving_metadata

As has been mentioned, following metadata save with metadata read is a work-around.

Note: you can see exactly, everything, the difference between metadata in catalog and metadata in xmp on disk, using ChangeManager's "Compare Catalog to Disk" feature; hint: choose 'No Exclusions' to see the "inconsequential" differences too. Reminder: this does a bunch of stuff involving xmp file copying and saving xmp / reading metadata / restoring afterward... - which presents lots of hoops to jump through, at first, in Windows, and forever, on Mac, but if you tough it out, you will get the pot of result gold at the end of the hoop rainbow...

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 2:00 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Thanks Rob, that an interesting finding. Sadly it doesn't seem to be the cause of the issues I sometimes have though, as I'm pretty much exclusively in PV2012, but it's definitely one to keep in mind. It appears that there are several factors that cause this buggy behaviour in the catalogue, and I have no idea what they all are...

M

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 2:11 AM   in reply to Mollysnoot

Consider trying ChangeManager's comparison feature, since it will identify all differences between catalog and xmp, and there's a very good chance the problem is due to some unresolvable discrepancy between catalog and xmp, even if it's not changed PV2010 settings (which for the record only causes a problem when you are working in PV2012). Even if the root cause is something else, it may turn up the source... Granted, Adobe should be the one doing this, not you, since it probably won't make much difference to you except for a satisfied curiosity. On ther other hand, theoretically, if you hand Adobe the deal on a silver platter it should make it more likely they'll fix it, albeit, sadly, I've handed them dozens of bugs on silver platters, yet very few have been fixed .

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 9:26 PM   in reply to Bob Metzler

Bob Metzler wrote:

Where/how do I get it?

Hi Bob,

It's an Lr plugin that you can download from robcole.com.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ChangeManager+Lightroom+plugin

R

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

I have the same Problem with about 30 images in my catalog:

When I save the changes into the jpg file, the file is changed (what can be checked in the explorer) and the date of the metadata in lightroom is adapted to the new time. A minute later the metadata  is marked as changed again with the date of metadata ine minute earlier...

I have tried the Change manager and get the error code:

Unable to read metadata for ("path:filename.jpg") because read validation timed out (last-edit-time never updated).

The last edit time in the file is set. so I have no idea what the problem is with the files...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 12:26 PM   in reply to Bob Metzler

Bob Metzler,

Yes this seems to work.

But the important thing is to realize that the metadata is saved to xmp and stays saved in the xmp irrespective of what the warning says.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to Bob Metzler

I've found that if you manually save out metadata, the 'metadata is changed' status is not changed. You can manually overcome this it seems by reading the saved metadata back into LR, but the whole problem is avoided if you have 'Automatically save metadata to xmp' ON. Then LR seems to record the fact that it has saved out the metadata and cancels the 'metadata is changed' flag.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points