Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Safe distance for buttons..

Mar 12, 2013 4:20 PM

Tags: #cs5 #error #buttons #menu #build

I keep getting build errors telling me that buttons are too close together. Mine seem to be 400 pixels apart ( vertically ). How far are they supposed to be a part to avoid this error ?

Regards,

TL.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

Look at the error again. What specifically does it say?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 12:15 AM   in reply to Herugrim123

The area allocated to the buttons is greater than that which appears to be the case from the visible button on the screen in many cases.  I believe that this is indicated by red rectangles appearing around the affected buttons when you view the menu in the Encore monitor - I have never had the problem myself so have not actually seen this.

Click on the buttons with the selection Tool (leftmost arrow in the tool bar) and a green rectangle will appear around your button.  That rectangle defines the limits of the button, and these rectangles cannot overlap, even by a single pixel.  Adjust the spacing by moving, or re-sizing your buttons until you can see space between the rectangles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to Herugrim123

This is what overlapped buttons look like.

overlap.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Herugrim123

Buttons can be literally be touching each other and not be an issue. They just cannot OVERLAP. To determine the area of a button, you must draw a rectangle (imaginary) around all pixels within the button layer group. So if you have 2 different highlight colors (=1 and =2 for example), you would draw a rectangle that contains all pixels of both those layers within it. This would be the area of the button that cannot overlap with another button.

Also, what confuses some people, is that you can have two rectangles (lets just say they are chapter selection boxes) right next to each other and they don't overlap, but if you rotate them slightly, they may not overlap visually, but their bounding boxes will overlap. If you can't place a straight vertical imaginary line between the two boxes (or a horizontal line if the boxes are on top of each other), then they are overlapping.

What can also happen is a rogue pixel or pixels, possibly semi-transparent or nearly invisible, is somehow part of one of the highlight layers, causing the bounding box to extend into other buttons and overlap when it shouldn't.

I hope this makes sense. I would look at the bounding boxes defined in Encore, and see if any extends way beyond where it should. If so, you have some rogue pixels that need to be cleaned up.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

Do you see the red all the way around your menu? Probably, some element in one of the menus is covering the whole menu.

How did you create the menu? I would consider starting the menu over if you have no idea what part of it is creating the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2013 3:26 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

You could also try selecting the entire image in Photoshop, then go to Image > Crop. This can remove rogue pixels that are outside the image, but still affect the bound box.

[ edited by forum host - use of these forums to solicit work or promote any business is strictly prohibited ]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Jon Geddes

In addition to fixing it for you, I will also explain how I will fix it in less than 30 seconds...

1) Make sure none of those background pictures are inside a button layer group.

2) Use the Marquee Tool and drag a box a safe area around each button and it's highlight

3) Select Inverse, then delete. Repeat for each button, making sure that button's highlight layer is selected for each deletion.

4) Select All, then go to image > crop.

Follow those steps carefully and your problem will be solved, guaranteed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Jon Geddes

One last thing... just looking at your screenshot, I can tell that each button has a proper bounding box, which means you likely placed the background elements into their own button group. Remove them from a button group and problem is solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

TL,

Great news!

What you had was one, great big Button, and all others overlapped that.

Thanks for reporting the cure, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points