Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color Calibration in Fireworks CS6

Mar 12, 2013 5:59 PM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #color #web #mac #fireworks #cs6

hey everyone...

i recently upgraded my mac and i'm running into an issue i can't explain or resolve:

if i open an image file in firworks CS6, it dramatically distorts the color (darker), saturation levels, etc. Opening the same file in the preview app or Photoshop CS6 does not.

here is a comparison photo of the same file in both fireworks and photoshop:

http://d.pr/i/BFza

any one have any thoughts?

thanks in advance!    

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to mr_xian

Fireworks is not color managed, meaning that it ignores ICC profiles attached to an image file. However, that is a pretty substantial difference, and I'm a bit surprised that the saturation is increasing in Fireworks, not Photoshop. Is there a profile attached to the image? (You can check this in Preview using ⌘I.)

(NOTE: This is in response to your initial post; apparently, we cross-replied within a minute of each other.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to mr_xian

A file saved or exported from Fireworks won't have an attached ICC profile, so be sure that you're checking your source file for the color profile, not an exported one.

If the source file contains no color profile, then Photoshop will make assumptions about its color space, which you can view or set using Edit > Color Settings. Since Fireworks is not color managed, it likely makes different assumptions about the color space. In previous OS's, the assumption for an untagged image was the user's display profile. Something seems to have changed in Mountain Lion, where the assumption for an untagged image is now sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I don't know how this assumption interacts with Fireworks, but it could be the case that the application is somehow no longer in sync with the OS on this issue. There have been problems reported with the eyedropper within FW's color picker on Mountain Lion; perhaps this is related.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4680209#4680209

I'm not sure what to suggest, as I'm using OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and don't have firsthand experience with this issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points