Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Re: Can you import 1080 60P material in Elements 11, as an example from a Panasonic HDC-TM900 camcorder?

Mar 13, 2013 1:27 PM

It is not about a slow computer (míne is new and fast) or an apple computer (I use windows 8) but it's about video quality and editing usability. Down under are the specifications of my camera, you can see the panasonic has different options and the MOV 50p had better quality (because of the higher bitrate), it is easier to use then the highly compressed AVCHD with video editing and I can use it also on a MAC (if I would like to). That is because I use MOV (and professionals like it too). So I need a MOV 50P setting and nog the AVCHD setting (I already installed the AVCHD setting as described above). It is true the panasocic is new and it is not very common in the consumer market to use MOV (most camcorders use AVCHD indead) and most DSLR don't have the 50p resolution yet it is still rare these days.

I hope there is anybody with a solution (I wish someone good give me a MOV 50p setting for PE11 and I'm happy!)

these are the video specifications of the Panasonic GH3

MOV (H.264) resolution, frame and bit rates 1920x1080 (60p/50p): 50Mbps
1920x1080 (30p/25p): 50Mbps (IPB), 72Mbps (All-I)
1920x1080 (24p): 50Mbps (IPB), 72Mbps (All-I)
1280x720 (60p/50p): 50Mbps (IPB), 72Mbps (All-I)
640x480 (24p): 10Mbps
MP4 (H.264) resolution, frame and bit rates• 1920x1080 (24p): 50Mbps
1920x1080 (30p/25p): 20Mbps
1280x720 (30p/25p): 10Mbps
640x480 (30p/25p): 4Mbps
AVCHD resolution, frame and bit rates 1920x1080 (60p/50p): 28Mbps
1920x1080 (60i/50i): 24/17/13Mbps
1920x1080 (24p): 24/17Mbps
1280x720 (60p/50p): 17/13Mbps
Audio44.1kHz Mono (Internal Mic), Linear PCM
File FormatsMOV, MP4, AVCHD

I will continue at a new discussions (because originally it's about panasonic 60p and that is indeed AVCHD like most camcorders and that solutions works):

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1169776

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to GH3Panasonic

Premiere Elements 11 can certainly work with this AVCHD 60p footage.

If you use Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder (Add Media/From Flip and Camera) it will even automatically set up your project for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to GH3Panasonic

Drop the footage in an avchd 50p project.

I think it will be fine as it uses the same preview codec as the dslr preset.

I tested it with a 60p mov in a 60p avchd project and I looks normal., dont have a 50p clip.

Dont think that will matter much.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to GH3Panasonic

One of the beauties of Non Linear Editors is that at final output rendering, it goes to the source.  It is not rendered twice.

The single most confusing subject I've run into trying to learn editing is how this works.  Here is what I think happens.

First, you have to have a project setting that accepts your source files so that you can work in real time preview with smoothness.  The computer is doing "real time project rendering" for preview.  So, if Ann's suggestion works during the editing process, you're fine.  In other words, you may not NEED an exact match between your source footage and your project preset.  Let PrE pick the best it can when you slide the first clip to the timeline.

Second, when it is time to make your final product(s), you set the "output render" or "transcode" setting in the Share+Publish area.  You might need something optimized for YouTube, an iPhone or Hollywood.  The editing software then looks at what you have been doing in real time, goes to all the markers and transitions you have set and makes an entirely new file, the "video", by reading from your 50Mbps source files. 

Somewhere here there is a long post from an Adobe tech who tried to explain it to me.  He emphasized that there was some relationship between the project setting and the output files, but the most important part was the output settings.

In the Share+Publish section there are a lot of presets.  For some you can change the frame rate and bit rate.  You should find something pretty close.

Your GH3 is so new, I've read little about it.  A 50 Mbps rate is twice what we've had at the consumer level for the last few years.  Have fun with that camera!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 3:34 AM   in reply to GH3Panasonic

Well I am not so sure.

The staff member is talking about an SD clip dropped in a hd preset.

The mov is h.264, avchd is simular.

If you change the extention of the mov to mts you will still be able to play the clip in e.g. vlc player, power dvd.

Also both presets use the same preview codec I frame mpeg only.

Maybe the staff member will drop by and enlighten us.

Why not give it a spin.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann is correct. Premiere Elements has trouble identifying some MOV files. Using Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder to your computer, as I suggested, will result in a video the program should automatically set up a project for -- otherwise you can manually change the file suffix to .mts and the program will better be able to work with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to GH3Panasonic

MOV can have many CODEC's inside that "wrapper." If the CODEC is H.264, then it is somewhat close to AVCHD, which also uses the H.264 CODEC. While both can contain the same CODEC, they are each a slightly different sub-set of H.264. Also, one most often sees a non-AVCHD H.264 wrapped in an MP4 wrapper, though not always. The MOV wrapper is a bit less common.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points