Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opening Web Site Shows Problem

Mar 13, 2013 2:07 PM

March 13, 2013

Good day.

The problem that I'm experiencing is upon opening the web page with Internet Explorer but not with Firefox.  Two photos are overlayed but the top photo should not be shown.

The page layout includes thumbnail photos in vertical scrolling columns on both the left and right sides.  I use an XML file to specify which side the thumbnail photos are to be displayed.  In the middle of the page, a night photo is displayed.  When a thumbnail photo is selected with a mouse click, then the night photo is replaced with an enlarged version of the selected thumbnail.  When the mouse passes over the enlarged photo, then the night photo is displayed, again.

The problem, when opening the page in Internet Explorer (IE 8), is that both the night photo and the first photo from the left thumbnail column are displayed (overlayed).  No thumbnails have been selected (mouse click), just opening the page.  With a quick mouse over the errant photo, the page functions as desired.  Firefox does not display this problem.

I tried inserting a blank for the first photo but this put an empty photo box in the location.

Please guide me in solving this problem.

I thank you.

Scott

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to Moore6931

It's impossible to answer such questions without seeing the page and its underlying code. Please post a link to the page, and tell us where we should look.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 2:32 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

I agree with Murray. Without seeing the code, it's very difficult to say what might be happening.

I will add that you should run your site through the validator and clean out any errors. Errors in your HTML will cause IE to do all sorts of funky stuff.

http://validator.w3.org/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to Moore6931

Should this -

<div class="leftwindow" id=".leftwindow"

be this -

<div class="leftwindow" id="leftwindow"

?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to Moore6931

You also fixed the id=".rightwindow"? Anyhow, it would be good to see the whole page, and its CSS - looking at a live page would be best. Can you post a link?

Those spry alerts can be ignored. They mean that your use of a Spry widget has caused invalid (Spry-specific) markup to be inserted into those tags. But that will not interfere with the rendering of the page.

As to the z-index question, only elements that have position:absolute or position:relative express a z-index.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points