Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HELP! With Ki Pro Files & Mac Drive

Mar 13, 2013 3:32 PM

Have a client who delivered video shot with a Panny and Ki Pro. Files (Apple ProRes 422) were transferred to two WD My Passport Studio drives (Mac).

I used MacDrive so my PC and the Mac drives could talk to one another. No problem there.

To make a long story short, Premiere Pro CS6 isn't recognizing the files. Is there a difference in Apple ProRes between Macs and PCs?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Use latest QuickTime: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

I have seen similar issues when using ProRes 4:2:2 files from an Alexa camera when using QT 7.6.6. Updating to QT 7.7.2 solved the issue.

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 6:33 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Try to move one clip from the external Mac formatted drive to an internal Windows formatted drive, create a new project and import the file from your Windows formatted drive.

It's a long shot, but it worth to rule out MacDrive for the sake of it.

I kind of doubt that it should matter since i can playback files on a Mac formatted drive on a Win machine with MacDrive 8.0.7.38 installed.

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Allow me to butt in here with no solution but a question or two.

Since you can see them in Quicktime on the PC, can you export them (using Quicktime Pro) to a usable Quicktime format. I don't know how Quicktime would convert from .MOV to .MOV but perhaps it would be lossless?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Sort of.

Open the files from the Mac drive, and export to the PC drive. I don't have a Mac drive so I can't test it.

Edit: Once upon a time (Summer 2004) when I created the tutorials for Premiere Pro 1.5 for http://www.Lynda.com they gave me a disc with the Quicktime footage to use. I opened the files in Quicktime Pro and merely exported the file to DV AVI. It still looked fine so I thought that perhaps Quicktime only changed the wrapper.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

Since the files are 90 minutes each i would have tried this:

1. In Premiere Pro, Edit > Preferences > Audio.

2. Un-check "Automatic peak file generation".

3. Click Media to the left and locate were your Media Cache Files and Media Cahce Database is stored on your hard drive.

4. Click OK to close the Preferences dialog.

5. File > Exit to close Premiere Pro.

6. Delete the folders you found under step #3.

7. Launch Premiere Pro.

8. Create a new project and import one of the files.

Now Premiere Pro should import the files *without* generating peak files, iow the file comes in and is able to use directly. It may work.

Did it make any difference?

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

shot in the dark...

that aja thing is fw800... the wd drives too ?

sometimes fw800 gets "confused" when more than one fw800 device is hooked up to one fw800 'chip'...like if you have 2 fw800 ports on one card with one chip on that card, sometimes the computer gets confused..

try making sure your drive you're ingesting from is the only thing on your fw chip ...

people have had this problem in past so who knows.. might help..

edit: am assuming you still haven't been able to move file from macdrive to internal win drive

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

grrrrrrr....

how about posting a screenshot of what the file is...use media info ( tree view ) or gspot...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

well, sorta.. the info on the RIGHT is what I'm looking for...

try media info tree view and see if you get that info ( codec, size par etc )

also maybe open a file in QT and use this...

post results... basically just trying to see what is in that mov wrapper...

qt1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

maybe averdahl will see something there.. that is amiss ... I don't...

sorry....

even if you COULD export from QT as animated codec the files would be HUGE...probably not worth trying. Boy, those are long times running camera without cut...

I'm stumped, maybe with that info posted re: file stats someone with mac and pc system will have some good info for you...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

======

The building peaks indicator, in the lower right-hand corner, has not moved after 15 minutes of waiting.

====

you know, I'm wondering..since those files are so big... maybe you should drop into your project and then walk away for like 45 min and see what happens...just let it work away at that thing for a long time...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

ug... well, good luck...maybe someone will see something from that info you posted that I don't.

dont forget.. to make things fast as possible ...program on one drive, source files on another drive, scratch disk on another drive ( sized correctly ). indexing off on all drives.. all all esata , no fw800...the more it's spread out ( the load ) the faster it will work..you know all this..just blabbin...

good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

When able123 mentioned FireWire 800 something popped up in my head: FireWire 400/800 and large file transfers = Problems.

The background is that the FireWire drivers in Win 7 fails when you transfer large files, and the result you get is that files won't open in Premiere Pro since the files/s has been corrupted during transfer. It happened to me everytime i transferred media from a Canon XF100 camera via a FW800 CompactFlash reader. When i changed the driver, every transfer has been problem free.

You can either go to http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp and download their drivers or fix it manually in the Device Manager: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/en370145

You need to transfer the files from the external HDD, again.

I would start to roll back to the Legacy driver manually and transfer one (1) file from the external HDD to the internal HDD to test.

I had many issues with files from the XF100 when i transferred files via FW400 or FW800. None of the files would open in Premiere Pro until i changed the drivers and re-transferred the files.

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 4:27 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

O.k, now i see three options:

- Close Premiere Pro. Hold down Alt+Ctrl and hold them down when you launch Premiere Pro. When you see the launch screen you can let go of the keys. The Recent Project list should be empty, and if it is the Preferences are restored to factory default. This should reset the Preferences. This does sometimes solve odd issues.

- Check and see if the media can be opened in an NLE on *any* machine. Can the ones that gave you the files open it in an NLE, and in what NLE?

- Un-install using the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool and re-install: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Are all files 90 minutes long or do you have files that are let's say 30 seconds?

Though i have used ProRes in Premiere Pro on Windows without issues many times, i have not used 90 minutes files. Max length have been around three minutes.

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to Averdahl

averdahl,

its not 90 min ...its 90 gig... about 1.5 hours time...big files...thats why I kinda thought maybe he needs to let that file open for a really long time....more than 15 min....like see what happens if he walks away for 30 min or more...after dropping into project...

??  sorta depends a lot on hardware setup , defragged drives, lots of stuff...???

big files though... yikes...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to able123

I was going to say - 148Mb/s is a LOT of data. My camera tops out at 72Mb/s but I suppose since the problem video is 4:2:2 it takes more bits to keep track of every pixel.

It seems to have been written by an AJA card. Could that be the problem. The PC doesn't have an AJA card?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steve, that aja thing is a gizmo you plug hd sdi "out" from camera into the gizmo on set while shooting...and it records "live" what the camera is seeing as a prores file...then it gets transferred from there to portable drives, like the posters drives, or graid or whatever...formatted as mac drives ( hence the need for macdrive on pc ).

shouldnt have anything to do with the prores files per se... is just captured live by the aja thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to able123

able123, in the second post Jay says: "UPDATE: These files are about 90 minutes each and average 90 GB in size.".

My interpretation of that is: Long files, 90 minute each and 90GB/file.

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

I'm out of ideas, other than using Vegas and render out the file to another codec, or edit in Vegas to save time.

/Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Jay Gladwell

averdahl... dumb me... i saw 90 min that you said, but was thinking 60 min for some stupid reason...my brain wasnt functioning. I even WROTE 90 thinking 60 ! OMG.

well, beats me.. one last thing... uninstall all instances of QT... and reboot.. and then install newest version of QT pro....

wow, vegas was fast... too bad you dont have a small file to share with us...we could test on our own puters...

edit: you dont have some little file like with color bars and grayscale etc before that shoot ??

i have an old ver of vegas and the only diff I can think of is the dolby built in.. i wonder if you can get a wav from soundforge or something and use that instead of the embedded audio, give that a try.. im fishing... sorry...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points