Skip navigation
tyglider
Currently Being Moderated

orientation filter not working

Mar 13, 2013 9:42 PM

Tags: #adobe #bridge #bridge_cs5 #filter #orientation_filter #orientation_filter_problem

Hi,

After trmming the images of white space I have been trying to use the Adobe Bridge CS5 orientation filter to identify the orientation of large groups of images, however the images it tells me are square, are not actually square. An example is an image that's 3948 x 4072 px, another is 1793 x 1914px both of these images are coming up as square in the orientation filter. I would have thought that unless the dimentions of both width and hight are the same it's either portrait or landscape. If the orentation filter is not actually the best way of identifing portrait and landscape images what is?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 14, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to tyglider

If the orentation filter is not actually the best way of identifing portrait and landscape images what is?

That depends on your definition of portrait and landscape. It seems Bridge has roughly a margin of 11 % difference between W and H. I tried files from 100 x 100 and increased pixels. 100 x 111 is seen as square, 100 x 112 is a portrait.

While this is arguable because square indeed matches the W x H it is also arguable to not call a 100 x 110 a portrait because it really looks more a square then a portrait.

Is there a particular reason you want such exact filtering?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to tyglider

The orietation is a metadata field recorded by the camera.  So with orientation not sure if it just sorts by the metadata field or by the dimension. 

Run a test.   Take a landscape picture and crop it to a definate portrait size and "save as".  Then run the orientation filter on the images and see what happens.

Please report back answer for us viewers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 14, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Run a test.   Take a landscape picture and crop it to a definate portrait size and "save as".  Then run the orientation filter on the images and see what happens.

This acts like expected, cropping a landscape to portrait puts it under the portrait orientation filter. And it should so because not all files (by far not) are created by digital camera and/or have metadata about orientation written to.

It is purely based on dimensions in the metadata

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points