Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Default UI setup has some obvious flaws. Why?

Mar 13, 2013 11:10 PM

Default CS6 UI looks like this:

1.png

The tool "window" or "pane" is unnecessarily wide. Why is this? I always have to grab its right edge and make it smaller. Also, the far-right audio thing (black) is much too wide. However, it DOES display more info, so at least that one makes some sense. The first one simply doesn't make sense because it takes up more space than necessary. This is very annoying and I was wondering what the reasoning behind this is, as well as if others have noticed this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 3:53 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Did you know that you can create your own custom workspace?  Once you get the tools panel and the audio meters sized the way you want you can save the adjusted layout as a new workspace.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

You're the first person I can recall in all of my years here who complained about the default Workspaces.  So although it bothers you, I don't think it bothers very many people.  The UI designers probably designed it to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, and the empirical data supports their design choices.  But for a definitive answer you'd have to ask them, and I don't know of any way to do that.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Well, I did read what you asked, and I even looked closely at the image you posted.  I resisted the temptation to trivialize your issue, instead responding with what I thought might be useful information.

Since you don't find it useful, I'll stop trying to help or provide insight.  I will say that I think you're getting wrapped up in minutiae.  If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a fix or for an answer from the developers. 

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I dont care what the default UI looks like.

The first thing I do is set up my own workspaces.

But they usually come over from previous versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

it takes more horizontal space than necessary for the tool pane.

I don't agree that it does.  Seems just right to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

Yes, I do. My question, however, is about the defaults (which mean a ton) and why the choice was made.

Maybe the designer of the user interface made it this way by  aesthetic choice or maybe its ergonomics or maybe test teams with editors wanted it that way.  He also gave you the choice to change it.

What kind of specific answer are you expecting on this?

FWIW: I run it horizontal at the top of the UI but I dont actually recall customising it to do so.  ( Maybe that was Default)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to AlfredKubrick9

I doubt that we will ever know the rational used to create that design. It might be just a simple aesthetic choice, or perhaps some "focus groups" voted for that? It could be that attempts were made to duplicate a "look," such as how AVID did similar, or maybe Final Cut?

The "why" will probably remain a mystery to us, the mere users.

A lot of thought goes into GUI design, and much of that is probably heavily weighted to what the designers think the average user wants.

Photoshop CS 6 made some major GUI changes, and though a lot of those were panned during the public beta, Adobe stuck with their original designs, in most cases. Maybe those beta reports came in too late to alter the GUI. Still, I see more complaints, than praises for the new and improved PS GUI.

Good luck, and at least there is a way around those defaults.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points