Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I lock master page items on specific document pages?

Mar 13, 2013 11:48 PM

I design a 56-page publication. Every issue has 40 BW pages & 16 color pages (2 signatures which land on 1-2, 4, 13, 16, 25, 27-30, 32, 41, 44, 53, 55-56). So I set those up with a color master page.

The problem occurs when I need to rearrange pages in the document: The master page elements move with everything else, of course, frequently creating chaos out my color-BW sequence.

Is there any way to lock the color master pages onto the page numbers where I need them? Or is my only choice to cut and paste whole pages, leaving the master items in place? Very tedious and doesn't necessarily prevent me from disturbing the sequence, since I usually customize the master elements on each color page, which unlocks them.

You get my firstborn if you have any other tricks or suggestions to help keep the sequence stabilized.  

Thanks in advance!

Gwen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to hengwen

Why not two versions of the master page? One color, one B&W, then just change the master assigned.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to hengwen

I'm not sure I see a problem other than you need to keep a chart of what pages should be color and what B&W, and the last thing you should do is go to separatitons preview and turn off the black plate. Compare the chart to the pages in seps preview. Black and White pages should be blank. Any page that isn't blank should be in the color section.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to hengwen

If you actually move pages with the layout>pages>move pages command, the

master pages will move along with the pages, so no confusion should

occur. I think that is also the case when you drag pages in the pages panel.

The problem with master pages getting messed up is when text reflows

onto another page that has the wrong master.

I offer a script which allows you to link master pages with paragraph

styles, though, if that's any help. Check out "Apply Masters to Pages"

under the scripting tab on www.freelancebookdesign.com

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to [Ariel]

I think you misunderstand the problem, or I seriously do. If you shuffle th page order differnt pages fall into the signature that will be in color. If the master applied is inappropriate for that signature  it needs to be changed. It's not really a case of the master not following the page.

In line with not being clear, that chart I mentioned previously should be absolute page numbers and you should not rely on section numbering or the page numbers assigned to the pages in ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to hengwen

You can't avoid it.

Whatever master you assign to a page is what follows it around. You'll

need to reassign the masters to pages that have been moved. I believe it

was Peter who pointed that out earlier.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

If you want something on the master page pasteboard to show up on the document pages it must be toching the bleed or slug (if any) or the page itself. Pasteboards are page-specific.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points