I found a discussion of a similar problem from back in 2010, but in that thread the only reply was suggested burning at 1x and trying different media. There was no further correspondence so I can't tell if that suggestion resolved the issue. I tried burning again at 1x and using different media (we're using Verbatim) without success, so I ask again.
The problem is with menu navigation in DVD.
The main menu has the probelem. It has four buttons arranged in a 2x2 square that send viewers to 4 submenus. Each submenu has three buttons - play without subtitles, play with subtitles, return to main menu.
In any computer (we've tried it in 8: MACs and PCs) navigation of the main menu works perfectly using the mouse (although not the up/down left/right buttons on the keyboard... is THAT normal?).
But in the four DVD players in which we've tried it we cannot navigate to the button on the lower right using the buttons on their remote controls, although the other three buttons work just fine.This happens in our ancient $29 DVD player, in our brand new $1,000 blu-ray player and in everything in between.
I've looked at the programing and cannot find any difference between the buttons that work and the one that doesn't. The design preview perfectly and to add confusion a previous version of this disc (I had to link one timeline to new media) plays perfectly in any player.
I'm stumped. I'd be panicked except for the fact that, post sign-off, the client has decided to make just one more little change in the video, so I have another couple of days.
Here you go. It is the "Timesheets" link at the bottom of the flowchart that doesn't work on DVD players, but works fine on computers.
BTW from comments on this forum I infer that some people can tell a lot of things from a flowchart. Things like whether there or overrides and... I don't know what.
I can't tell anything except the crude "flow, that is "what's connected to what".
Is there a tutorial or document somewhere from which I can learn how to fully read a flowchart?
Misters Simon and Jones - THAT WAS IT !!!
I'm a newby and self-taught with a long way to go.
I had stumbled across this screen while working on another project weeks ago, but at that moment I was working to deadline and did not pay the least attention to it. Of course, when I tried to go back to the screen I hadn't the faintest idea where it was or what the screen/process was called and, so, had no way to look it up.
It wasn't until you said "Button Routing" that it clicked. THAT sounded like it was exactly the problem, so I trolled HELP and found the answer. Thanks for the very useful stab in the dark.
My test DVD hasn't finished burning, so I'm not absolutely sure myproblem is solved, but I am very confident you have directed me to the solution.
I'm working studio production today and through the weekend, but before I go incommunicado for 4 days, I wanted to say "Thanks a bunch".
There is an auto-routing function for buttons, and you have some control over what goes on, but not much. Having had these sort of problems myself, I now always turn off auto-routing and make sure the routing is what I want by setting it manually.
You can check that the routing works as you want before burning, by using the on-screen remote in the Encore Preview.
Just to cap off this discussion I thought I'd say how this happened.
Several weeks back I built a DVD and this menu with just three menu items - Introduction & Services, Hiring a Provider, and Supervising a Provider. It worked great.
Then the client decided to add "CMIPS" to the DVD and reissue it. That's when the trouble began.
I infer that the auto-routing function pulled it off with the original build, but lost its way when I made the addition.
Since I had managed to get along just fine for months without ever stumbling across or needing to know about "Button Routing," I was completely at sea when the problem cropped up.
Thanks again folks.
Europe, Middle East and Africa