Skip navigation
benjaminaaronslack
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator & Stability

Mar 14, 2013 9:40 AM

Tags: #illustrator #crash #stability

I'm opening this thread to gather info from the user community about AI and its stability. To preface, I've been using Illustrator since AI 3 (not CS 3, the one after AI 88). I work at a service bureau, preparing artwork for many different agencies and creative groups for use in offset, flexo and gravure printing methodologies. I've used Illustrator on the Mac and I've used it on the PC. I use it everyday, 8+ hours a day.

And during that day, everyday, several times a day, it crashes. It crashes sometimes when I drag the hand tool. Sometimes when I cut and paste. Sometimes when I go to enter some text. Sometimes when I change a layer's visibility. It crashes on simple files with no live fonts (all outlined copy). It crashes on complex files, with dozens of layers and sub layers and multiple transparency interactions. The only common thread among them all is that while the OS is going to display "Illustrator has unexpectedly quit..." it was not unexpected at all to me.

My experience is not unique either. Because I work for a fairly large company, with multiple locations and teams, I get to hear a lot of feedback. It happens at all our plants, fairly regularly. It's just a known fact among our operators that when using AI, you better be saving every couple of operations, or you're asking for trouble. So given that, what I'm curious about is how many of you all see this behavior? How often? What are YOU doing when it happens? So if you could do me the favor of indulging my curiousity, in your replies give me something along the following template:

User: <yourname>

Platform: <win, osx>

AI Version: <cs4, cs5, etc.>

Average Hours Using AI Each Day: <guess-timate is fine>

Average Number of Crashes Each Day: <guess-timate is fine as well>

What Actions Generally Cause The Crash: <keep it short and to the point, maybe a paragraph>

Note!: Please refrain from demands for action, or flaming Adobe (or myself). I'm just trying to get my head around how bad this problem is and maybe give folks some chance to compare notes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to benjaminaaronslack

mike

design implementaiton artist

OS 10.8.2

CS 5.02

9+ hours

1one

I forget to dealy  my playback time on actions or once in a blue moon I get an errant crash cause I am pushing Illustrator too hard.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to benjaminaaronslack

Larry

Scientific illustrator

OSX10.6.8

CS5 and CS6

9 hours

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to benjaminaaronslack

User:

Scott

Designer/Illustrator

Platform:

Mac OS 10.6.8 - Mac OS 10.8.2

AI Version:

CS3 through CS6 (although 95% of time is spent in CS6 these days)

Average Hours Using AI Each Day:

~5 hours

Average Number of Crashes Each Day:

CS5 or below : 4-6

CS6 : 0

What Actions Generally Cause The Crash:

CS5 or below - anything involving complex artwork, patterns, symbols, etc and performing global actions on those objects, such as transformations.

CS6.... no crashes.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 14, 2013 10:46 PM   in reply to benjaminaaronslack

I don't see many Illustrator crashes at all (OS X, 10.6.8 and 10.7.5), but I would encourage you to take a close look at the crash reports (mac only) and try to understand what they are telling you. Check out Guide to Interpreting InDesign Crash Reports which basically applies to Illustrator too. Or you can upload them to http://pastebin.com/ and post them here (PM me if I don't see your post).

I do know that Jonathan Hoefler seems to complain about it crashing a lot (e.g. https://twitter.com/H_FJ/status/296400023661473795), too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:38 PM   in reply to benjaminaaronslack

I use Illustrator CS6 (16.0.3) on Windows 7 (4GB RAM) and Windows XP (2GB RAM).

I do rather simple design work, 1~3hrs a day, and so far I have never experienced any crash.

On Windows, try to analyze the event logs (using the Event Viewer) if you can find out more what exactly causes the crashes.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 14, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Pat Willener wrote:

On Windows, try to analyze the event logs (using the Event Viewer) if you can find out more what exactly causes the crashes.

This is unfortunately not very useful.

The Event Viewer will tell you the specific faulting address and the specific module, but it won't give you a stack trace indicating which module called the the module that called the module that called the module that faulted. As such, it tends to give you information that's effectively useless

Of course, YMMV, and if you find something useful there, I'd be interested to hear about it, but it is counter to my experience.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points