Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Doc Sizing Limit?

Mar 14, 2013 10:41 AM

Tags: #illustrator #size #art_board

I'm trying to create a 283.28" by 85" document, but the 283.28" part keeps automatically changing to 227.54".  Is there some kind of size limit?  What am I missing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to danldurall

Congratulations you discovered the max size limit for Illustrator.

Design at scale (half or tenth usually work good).

In CS5 and earlier you got an error that clearly told you what was going on. In CS6 they they used some poor judgment to just change your value, leaving you guessing as to why.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to danldurall

Yes would be nice to be able to work at actual size on large scale as you can in Corel Draw.

I often just go to 1/10th rather than 1/2 as in your case. The approval PDFs are smaller and generate quicker and the math is easier, than say for example 1/3rd. If you are doing just one itme though don't sweat it, just saying if you are doing all the graphics for a trade show you may want to consider that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Mike Gondek wrote:

I often just go to 1/10th rather than 1/2 as in your case. The approval PDFs are smaller and generate quicker and the math is easier, than say for example 1/3rd.

One thing I love about Illy is that you can use mathematical operators in the size fields. If I need, say, 1/7th scale of a 33.63" x 83.87" panel, in the size dialog I just enter; 33.63/7 and 83.87/7. This has saved my sanity on many an occasion.

That said, it would be nice to be able to design at full size (as in CD), and on a large project, wotking at 1/10th scale is an even bigger sanity saver.

--OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points